Suzuki charging system.

Kenner19VX

Recruit
I have a 2006 Suzuki DF115. For some reason, my volt meter frequently reads about 11 volts while I am running. It will jump up to around 14 volts some of the time, but then drop back down to 11 or 12 volts a while later. Today was the first day that it never got above 12 volts the whole day. My low voltage alarm never came on and there didn't seem to be any loss of performance. Has anyone seen this before? Is it some kind of on-demand charging system or something? Is it maybe a volt meter problem? What do you guys think...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki charging system.

With the engine running at anything above 1500 RPM, the voltmeter should read 13 - 14.5 volts, give or take a little. anything below 12.6 (which is battery voltage) says the battery is not charging. Since the issue seems to be intermittent, I'd start by checking the gauge to make sure connections were tight. Then look at the control harness plug (the big one) at the engine. Disconnect it and reconnect it. Then check the connections on the battery. Don't just look at them. Disconnect them, make them squeaky clean and then thow the wing nuts overboard. Replace them with stainless steel nuts and internal or external tooth lockwashers for a solid connection. As a final check, start the engine and measure voltage at the starter solenoid where the large red battery cable connects. If voltage is normal there but not at the gauge, there is a "boat" wiring problem, not an engine problem.

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Merc/Yamaha 115 fourstroke started displaying similar symptoms just before it completely stopped charging.
Ended up replacing the voltage regulator/rectifier and problem solved.
I'm always seeing 12.5-14v. depending on electrical load and RPM.
Good luck with your fix.

Kenner19VX

Recruit

I did some testing today and found out it was a gauge problem. The gauge is getting power, but isn't getting a signal from the alt/battery. It is charging fine with the motor running (14.6 V). I will have to get a wiring schematic to trace the problem, but atleast I know I am charging now! I wish I had caught this a few months ago when it still had warranty coverage...