Suzuki DT55 no spark and condenser charge coil

chico andrade

Recruit
Hi,
I have a 96 suzuki dt55, some time ago it was really difficult to start the engine, and used to take many trys for it to start. Now it totaly refuses to start. I tested and found no spark in any plug. I got the seloc repair manual, and in this manual there are some resistance test to the various coils. I proceed the tests and found that, acording to the resistance, the three pulser are good, the battery charge coil is good and the gear counter coil is also good, however the condenser charge coil had infinite resistance, that way being at fault. I am no expert, but the manual says that this coil sends current to charge a capacitor within the cdi unit, that in turns sent the current to ignition coils. So, being broken this condenser charge can actually prevent all cylinder to have spark, right ?
I was told that I need a DVA to test the output of the coil, ok, but is the resistance test worth to trust, or is it a total waste of time ?
Any further help? What else should I test ?

thanks for any help,
chico

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Suzuki DT55 no spark and condenser charge coil

that is the stator
check ground to a wire on the condenser coil
if u get a reading u got a bad stator

chico andrade

Recruit

Checked both black/red to ground and green to ground and had no reading. Maybe it?s really the condenser charge coil ?
chico

JUSTINTIME

Captain

buy a DVA and test in volts
i hate ohms

chico andrade

Recruit

First, Thanks for the reply. Well I am in Brazil and buying an DVA is not as cheap and quick. Ordering them from US may take 2 or 3 month to get delivered and cost between 6 and 8 times the price in US. But I saw your scheme to build a DVA posted in switchbait foruns, does it work well ? I have easy acess to those parts, and if it works ok I can assembly one here.
thanks again,
chico

JUSTINTIME

Captain

works fine!
my buddy built one and he works for GM