f225 yamaha stalls on acceleration

suddendebt

Cadet
I have an 05 yamaha 225 fourstroke.
It ran perfect till it sat a few months. Took it out and wouldn't get over 2500 rpm. then as it sat a few minutes it rose a few. after starting it and stopping it over a coupe hours, it finally took off. I figured bad gas and injector cleaner fixed it. Recurred last weekend. never really got better. Took out all old gas and knocked out the antisiphon valve on the tank to ensure no restrictions. Idles and starts great. In neutral it revs as high as I want flawlessly. Any comments???

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: f225 yamaha stalls on acceleration

any motor will rev fine in neutral

suddendebt

Cadet

Really???
I suppose I was just trying to give as much info as possible to avoid having people who were concerned with a valuable suggestion from having to ask if it runs like junk all the time.

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know if this will help you, but I was following a thread from another board about a Honda 130 EFI with similar symptoms and this is a what was causing his problem

"I mentioned the missing Honda outboard and described the symptoms and he goes, "I know exactly what it is". He came over the next day and pulled out this little solenoid switch that controls air flow while the motor is at idle. The thing has a little screen in it and it was all clogged up. Cleaned it up, put it back on, and she is good to go - running perfectly! She hasn't stalled once since."

I'm sorry, I don't know exactly what the part is called but I'm pretty sure that your Yamaha has one also.

...Or, dirty injectors?

Hope you get it fixed, Scott

JUSTINTIME

Captain

it could be the electrical fuel pump
plug it into yds

suddendebt

Cadet

You guys are awesome. Thanks Cousinabe for the link to the diagrams. Wow A picture is worth everything. Wife wouldn't wait any longer so I dropped it off for the pro's to work on. I'll get back when I know what it was. THanks again guys.

suddendebt

Cadet

Dealer says it's just dirty screens on the fuel filters. Pumped some cleaner in and set 2 hours then BAM. Good as new.

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, that was easy!
Which filter screens were dirty?
Couldn't have been the in-line, see-through fuel filters. I would think that those would just be replaced.
VST filter screen?

Thanks

JUSTINTIME

Captain

well what you cleaned went to the injector screens
keep running the cleaner all the time

suddendebt

Cadet

Gunk was supposed to be from water and cheapo gas. Will be putting a 10 micron filter/separator in to get out more junk.