frozen steering/cable questions

JK3

Cadet
All right guys, I know this has been posted before (I did a search) but the steering froze up on me on my Yamaha 70hp 2 stroke and have a few questions. The rod inside the steering tube is frozen in there. I unbolted the cable from the starboard side and the cable/helm turns freely and the motor pivots just fine when unbolting the tiller rod. I moved the rod almost completely into the tube after whacking it with a hammer and hitting it with some WD40. Hopefully I didn't mushroom the end. I will definitely have to get the engine hoist out and unbolt the motor to go any further. My questions are:

Any other methods or penetrating oils I should consider? Will using a torch (very carefully) help at all to loosen this sucker? Seemed to have a lot of dried up grease and rust in there, not sure if heat will cause it to seize worse.

Also I'm concerned about the end of the Teleflex cable. I put a wrench on it to try to turn it (perpendicular to rod) and also put a rod through the end (where the tiller rod gets bolted) and tried whacking it out the other way towards port. How tough is that end, just wondering how it's attached to the rest of the telescoping rod cable.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: frozen steering/cable questions

Have you removed the nut from the cable side which is fixes to the steer tube on starboard side? Get your self a rio bar smaller than the diameter of steering tube and say foot and half long (longer because of the weight and leverage it gives you when hitting the rod through) and a heavy hammer, line the bar up with end of the rod and bang it out, you may need to use some force initally, but it will come out. Once out, spend some time cleaning the rist out out, u will need to improvise.

JK3

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Yamajoe, yeah the nut on the starboard side is removed. Those couple of questions still stand. Will penetrating oil and heat help out at all, or just continue to beat it into submission?

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem and I had to buy new cable and a new tilt tub I used 10w40 and a hammer first but it was no go it was jammed then the dremel to cut the cable as close as possible to the bolt side and toke out the old tub and cable and replaced with new ones good luck

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

unfortunatly there is no easy answer to this, you will just need to perservere and keep on trying as best you can, you will get it out, but it is never easy, some heat, some hitting, some oil will all help, but nothing will make is a breeze!

James R

Commander

If you can put some Marvel Mystery oil in a grease gun try forcing that thru the Xerxe fittings. If you can get the steering rod to move both ways ,just a little, then just keep working it. Once out try a spade bit on an extention in a battery powered drill and some MMO to clean out the bore. Wash it out with brake cleaner and apply some rust converter.

Popster

Seaman Apprentice

FWIW, WD40 is not a lubricant. Try Kroil, PB Blaster, or the like. Mystery marvel is essentially ATF with wintergreen scent.

James R

Commander

Hey Popster. Didn't know that. Are you sure about MMO? If that is the case then I will use ATF in future for freeing rings. Kroil is of course good to.