Suzuki dt50 intermittent tilt/trim motor

river_bouy

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,
Was having some problems with my power tilt/trim.

The down works fine but having problems with the up. I have narrowed it down to the solenoid/relay. If I swap them around then up works fine and have problems with down.

The problem seems to be intermittent. When I am at rest or the boat is on the trailer it tends not to work (I can hear the solenoid click but does not move). However, when travelling at speed with RPMs up, it seems to work alot better. Is this something to do with more volts been supplied at higher RPMs? If I touch the two main wires into the solenoid together (bypass the solenoid) then it works.

BTW, i have cleaned and re-done all the wiring connections so don't believe this is the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki dt50 intermittent tilt/trim motor

Sorry, don't have a manual, but I would figure if the relay clicks the switch is ok. Tried to get a handle on the parts
at http://www.brownspoint.com/ , lists 2 relays required?

The problem follows the relay correct?

Sounds like a relay. When it clicks is there battery power to the tilt motor? Make sure of the grounds first.

Hope you have a manual.

river_bouy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the tip.

I'm pretty sure it's the relay. I assume when it clicks there is no power to the motor because it does not move. Can I test this somehow with my voltmeter? (my electronic knowhow his pretty basic).

The relay has 4 wires into it (one of which is a small black one connecting to the engine). I have never really understood why things are grounded like this. I suppose it is just the ground for the switch part.

Do you have to get the exact relay to match your motor? I was thinking of going cheap and maybe using some kind of auto relay.

James R

Commander

It is quite off putting to see how many people use the wrong parts and then complain. Please use the Suzuki part. They are not that expensive for peace of mind.

pege

Recruit

A relay is a eletric controlled switch. with a small current you can deliver current with high ampers to det device you wants to turn on or off. A motor may need as much as 30 ampers to run. and if you should "bring" the current from the battery up to the control switsh and back to a tilt motor you will need a thick wire and a switch witch can handel 30 A over the contacts, a big clumsy device. Instead you us small switches, thin wires from battery to the relay and thicker cabels from battery to the relay and futher to the device yuo will control. A relay has at least four terminals, two for the controlsignal and two terminals for the working current. When connecting + battry to one terminal (through a switch ) and the other side is grounded (- battery) the relay is activated and the contact is made (or broken ). You hear the clik . So if the relay is in order you will have connection over the other terminals, and with a + battery on one terminal, the other terminal is connected to the tilt motor and and the motor is grounded, you wil have a circute and the motor should work. If not, sheck the connection from the battery to the relay and to the tilt motor. If nothing wrong with the wires then the relay is broken. With an ohm meter the reading should be 0 ohm when engaged, and no reading at all when not engaged (disconnected wires).
In voltage reading ( or a test lamp) + battery on the in going terminal (light) and +battery (light) on the out goingterminal when the relay is engaged. Auto relay will not handel the damp conditions in a outboard motor. (If you don't modify it in any way.

carlton wright

Recruit

:rolleyes:
A relay is a eletric controlled switch. with a small current you can deliver current with high ampers to det device you wants to turn on or off. A motor may need as much as 30 ampers to run. and if you should "bring" the current from the battery up to the control switsh and back to a tilt motor you will need a thick wire and a switch witch can handel 30 A over the contacts, a big clumsy device. Instead you us small switches, thin wires from battery to the relay and thicker cabels from battery to the relay and futher to the device yuo will control. A relay has at least four terminals, two for the controlsignal and two terminals for the working current. When connecting + battry to one terminal (through a switch ) and the other side is grounded (- battery) the relay is activated and the contact is made (or broken ). You hear the clik . So if the relay is in order you will have connection over the other terminals, and with a + battery on one terminal, the other terminal is connected to the tilt motor and and the motor is grounded, you wil have a circute and the motor should work. If not, sheck the connection from the battery to the relay and to the tilt motor. If nothing wrong with the wires then the relay is broken. With an ohm meter the reading should be 0 ohm when engaged, and no reading at all when not engaged (disconnected wires).
In voltage reading ( or a test lamp) + battery on the in going terminal (light) and +battery (light) on the out goingterminal when the relay is engaged. Auto relay will not handel the damp conditions in a outboard motor. (If you don't modify it in any way.