1986 115 hp Yamaha won't idle

dsoliah

Recruit
My 1986 115 hp Yamaha won't idle; when one shifts into neutral, after starting it, it stops; same is true after it is thoroughly warmed up.

It starts and runs fine with the warm up lever raised; as soon as I lower the warm up lever to a speed where I can shift, the engine stops. The only way I can shift is if , as I lower the warm up lever, I tap the choke button and then quickly put it in gear and accelerate a bit above idle speed.

The other day, after two separate two plus miles runs, and after we had run above idle speed for a few minutes, I shifted into neutral and it died right away.

I am using this boat on a lake on the MN/Canada border, where the air temp is in the low 50's during the day and near or at freezing at night; the water temp is probably in the 40's - this is something new so I am wondering if the cold water or air temp is having some effect - it would seem it shouldn't as there are lots of outboards running here with no problems - carbs were cleaned this summer - so, I need some help -

Thanks -

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 115 hp Yamaha won't idle

Carbs were cleaned this summer....who cleaned them? Were they completely taken apart and soaked in carb cleaner(NOT spray can stuff) for at least two hours(in agitator) or four hours without? Were the very, very fine idle circuit holes cleaned out with very fine copper wire? If it runs fine except for idle then 90% the idle circuit in carbs is problem. Have cleaned by someone, the correct way.