Suzuki cooling problem

joet1943

Cadet
I have a 55hp -3cyl Suzuki that is not pumping water . I dropped the lower unit expecting to find the impeller fried . The impeller was in very good shape , replaced it any way and forced water up the tube to check for a restriction - water flowed well . Reinstalled lower unit - put on earmuffs still no water circulation . Removed thermostat - left therm.cover off , restarted motor- still no water up to the head . Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated . Joe

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki cooling problem

My 30 hp was doing that the other day.
I think the problem was in the muffs. Try running it in a large container instead. Remove the prop and put it in gear and rev it up some. You should get normal water flow. If it doesn't pee then you didn't install the key in the impeller correctly.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

if all else fails you must try flush the motor through the thermostat hole and see if you can clear anything ....

joet1943

Cadet

When I Pulled The Old Impeller It Was In Very Good Condition -installed The New One On The Key First Then Put Cover On It . Before Reinstalling Lower Unit , I Forced Water Up The Water Pump Tube And It Flowed Freely Out Of The Thermostat Opening And The Telltale . Ran Engine With Muffs On --NO Water Out Of The Telltale .:( I'm Now Further Back Than Square One ---Joe

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Did you run it in a trash can full of water?
If not DO IT.
Either you muffs suck or your impeller isn't installed right.

James R

Commander

Suzuki's dont like muffs and this will not tell you if the pump is working as you are running on fawcet pressure. You are well advised to use a tub.

joet1943

Cadet

Took your advice and ran it in a garbage pail for about 7 minutes -- water out of the exhaust but not out of the telltale . Didn't seem to be hot and the alarm didn't sound , and there is no thermostat in it . I never worked on a Suzuki before , but I do believe water should be coming out of the telltale . Please advise further. Thank you -- Joe

James R

Commander

The tell tale could be blocked.Try carefully probing with with a plastic tube from a spray can if it fits. If the stream is weak there are a few things to check. One, Is the impeller in correctly. When the impeller is fitted the drive shaft must be rotated clockwise, when looking from the top, as the housing is pressed down. If the housing and or the plate is scored then replacement is necessary. The seal between the pump and the tube must be in good shape. There should be a very strong stream from the telltale.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

My 30 hp was doing that the other day.
I think the problem was in the muffs. Try running it in a large container instead. Remove the prop and put it in gear and rev it up some. You should get normal water flow.

Rev it up.

James R

Commander

It should not be neccessary to rev the motor to get a good stream from the telltale.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

You shouldn't have to rev it up but if I remember correctly there's been a few occasions where i've had to put it in gear and rev it up to get em to ****.
I just thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a try before he drops the lower unit again.
My Suzuki was doing this kind of stuff the other day for absolutely no reason. It would pee then nothing, pee some more then fizzle out. I inspected the lower unit (everything good) tried it again and got about half a stream. The stream would surge back and forth. About a half hour into this the stream finally looked ok but it still seemed a little weak so I just left it.
Went fishing the next day and everything was back to normal before all of this started.

I would go drop the boat in some water and test it there. Sounds like everything was done right and nothing is blocked.

joet1943

Cadet

Thank you all for your advise . I wanted to drop it in the water but it's inconvenient . My next step is to drop the lower unit again ( easier the second time ) and check water pump output by spinning the driveshaft with a drill having the lower unit sitting in water (not using muffs ) . I will also check the tube - the tube that plugs into the top of the water pump - and see if there is a hole in that tube or if somehow the water is being diverted and not going up to the head . Obviously I'm getting some water up there since it's coming out of the exhaust port (muffs were off) .Thanx again --Joe

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,

I suggest you also change to new rubber seals in both ends of water tube.

Make sure the tell tale tube is clean so no restriction exists.
Try a thin wire and clean it out with that.

/Bo

joet1943

Cadet

I see that I have just achieved the rank of CADET , how did I earn this and how do I advance ? Thank you all for your help and interest . -- Joe

James R

Commander

This may be of some interest. I have just completed tearing down a 1987 DT20 for parts. Failure was due to overheating. Overheating was due to an impeller failure. Two blades of the impeller were found jammed in the upper end of the water tube at the block cavity. Would have passed a little water and possibly intermittently but not enough to cool the motor. Not unusual with an impeller failure.

joet1943

Cadet

Took the boat out on it's maiden run and the water pump is working great --HALLELUJAH -- unfortunately the motor won't RPM -- not really surprised , it's been sitting for quite a while . The bottom carb is on strike -- needle stuck in seat or maybe just dirt somewhere restricting flow of gas. Thanx for all your help . -- Joe