1989 200 Yamaha Oil Injection disabled?

pafisher1234

Seaman Apprentice
Im looking at a 1989 200hp Yamaha. I was told the oil injection has been disabled. What does this mean? Why would you disable it? If anyone could give me any advice be much appreciated.

big_b16

Seaman
Re: 1989 200 Yamaha Oil Injection disabled?

Oil injection disabled means someone chose not to correctly repair the VRO (another name for the oil injection system) and as a result had to mix gas when putting it in the tank. The result is that the motor will hopefully run rich when the RPMs are high. Usually the gas is mixed for the correct ratio at lower RPMs when the VRO is disabled. The VRO adds the correct oil for the engine RPM which is a bit lower at higher RPMs (at least on Merc/Mariners...and likely for Yammys). The amount of disabling can be varied, from just unplugging it and leaving everything else hooked up to pulling everything off the motor and putting a plate over the hole where the drive gear for the oil pump went into the engine on the drive shaft. Hope this helps. I had a 1996 Mariner 115 with the VRO removed and I used it for several years with no problems mixing gas 50:1. It was my first boat and the dealer (who I have several colorful adjectives for) never mentioned the fact when he sold me the used boat.

rcruz31

Cadet

I have an 86 Yamaha 200, oil injection was disabled when I bought the boat in January. I've used it all year with no issues. Just mix the 2 cycle oil in the fuel tank.......1 qt oil for every 10 gal gas.....

perthcatboy

Recruit

I have twin 2006 200hp Carby v6 2 stroke Yamaha's, and they came standard from the factory with no oil injection, I was surprised at this but discovered that they were bought in Singapore, where it is an 'asian' spec model. They have only done 70hours, both run very well, just a bit smoky at idle, as i guess they are getting a little too much oil, but at least you know the oil is going in...
Under the cowling they are amazingly simple, you can actually see everything, just like an outboard from 20 years ago!