Suzuki 30 hole in piston w/pics

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
I recently bought an Avon RIB with a bad Suzuki motor for $100.
The Suzuki is a 2 stroke 30 HP 1992 model.

There is a hole in the #2 piston. The cylinder wall doesn't seem too bad but there is some very light grooves. The other two pistons seem ok. The motor turns over freely and was told it runs but rough.

Can I just hone out the middle cylinder and install a new piston (assuming everything else is good) and be good to go? Will it be reliable?

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 179 (Small).jpg
    Picture 179 (Small).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 177 (Small).jpg
    Picture 177 (Small).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0

James R

Commander
Re: Suzuki 30 hole in piston w/pics

That looks like a rebore needed. You will probably find that the cylinder is not in spec. These motors are all high performance systems and everything has to be right. You will probably find that the other cylinders and pistons are worn.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

These are great motors, it looks like this was caused by not flushing the motor, i see alot of salt buildup there. I would not suggest only replacing the one piston, it would be better if you strip the whole powerhead clean out all the salt, rebore all 3 cyl and put in 3 brand new oversize pistons, once you get this puppy running after that I will assure you that you will have a very fast and powerfull motor ..... I use to race them ....

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice.
I was hoping I could get away with just replacing the middle piston. I wouldn't mind dropping $150 on parts for the quick fix but i'm not comfortable in my skill level to overhaul the thing, dropping $600-$800 in the process and then possibly missing a step and have it fail again.

The guy I bought it from said this was the second time something like this happened so I don't want to make it a third.

I might just part the sucker out and buy a something else.

I have an 87' 30 hp Suzuki tiller that has been a good motor. Since it's a plain 2 cylinder rope start motor it looks quite a bit easier to tear down and put back together then the 92'.