Suzuki DT 65 changing water pump

Duggy08

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1990 DT 65 which pees water from tell tale and exhaust port when on muffs / under pressure, but does not come out of tell tale when in the water under normal running conditions, t but he water still comes out of the normal exhaust port though. Is this the impellar??
I have looked at changing the impellar and have a PDF manual but it is a little unclear. What is the procedure for removing the lower leg? do I need to drain the gearbox oil to do this.

Any help much appreciated.:):confused:

Regards

Graeme

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Suzuki DT 65 changing water pump

i would do t-stats
impeelr
and poppet valve

James R

Commander
Re: Suzuki DT 65 changing water pump

It is not a good way using the muffs to check for the impeller performance. The impeller may not be working. You need a tub deep enough that the water comes above the impeller. Then you will see if the impeller is working. It is quite common for the pee hole as you call it, I prefer Telltale, to become blocked. A plastic tube from a spray lubricant can pushed up the Telltale while the motor is running usually clears the hole. If you dont know when the impeller was last changed or if the motor has been in mud or sand then the impeller must be changed. When you do this be sure to check for bad scoring of the plate and the housing of the pump. If that condition exists the replace the bad parts.