suzuki dt4 intermittent cooling issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

northport

Recruit
I replaced the impeller and removed the power head to inspect for excess exhaust pressure in cooling jacket, with no evidence of problems. If the large rubber shift adjustment inspection cover is open, the water will "pee" out the tube but when I close the inspection cover, the water stops and then begins to overheat. I wondered about back pressure, but nothing has changed in performance. It seems sometimes as if the impeller is air bound, however it has plenty of open water porting. There is no thermostat on this model.

northport

Recruit
Re: suzuki dt4 intermittent cooling issues

It has always run and "peeed" fine but now even with the new impeller it sometimes pumps but seems like you need to "prime the pump" but of coarse that is not necessary. If I run just the lower end in a tank with a 1/2 inch drill it still seems to not draw or pump water consistently. Sometimes it will pump very well. ???? Water level in tank is above the pump.

James R

Commander
Re: suzuki dt4 intermittent cooling issues

Ok This is a tricky one. First question. When you installed the new impeller did you rotate the drive shaft clockwise looking from the top as you pressed the housing down.This is correct for instalation. If you did this have you rotated the shaft anti clockwise after the instalation. This you should never do. Second question.Is the water intake clear because what you have said about water flow being good with the inspection cover removed could mean that the pump cannot pull water through the intake and is pulling water through the cover hole. Try these thoughts.

Stevan72

Recruit
I replaced the impeller and removed the power head to inspect for excess exhaust pressure in cooling jacket, with no evidence of problems. If the large rubber shift adjustment inspection cover is open, the water will "pee" out the tube but when I close the inspection cover, the water stops and then begins to overheat. I wondered about back pressure, but nothing has changed in performance. It seems sometimes as if the impeller is air bound, however it has plenty of open water porting. There is no thermostat on this model.
Hi friend... I have the very same problem in presence.. Have you solved it..???

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That motor has small diam water passages inside the powerhead, seems it's time to manually clean them all...

Happy Boating

Status
Not open for further replies.