1995 yamaha O/B Loud noise Dies out.

Hi, I recently bought a boat with a 1995 yamaha 250hp saltwater edition.
(250txrs) The ex owner states the motor ran fine with no problem for the 13 years he owned it. Well Long story short i was at catalina when my motor died out on me. I had a mechanic take alook at it and he said its the lower gear box and core. $2000-$3000 problem. I do not have the that kind of $ and was hoping if you guys can throw some of your knowledge my way.

Now for the problem. The motor ran fine all morning and all of a sudden a loud clunk noise came from the motor and the motor died out. I tried starting it again put it in gear it would go for 2 sec and die out again. First i thought the prop was loose since there was no power coming from it or little power.
not knowing what the problem was i got towed home from catalina.

Back at the marina I start up the motor idles fine. Put it in netural put it in forward gear, rev it up and it revs fine nothing wrong.

now this time i did NOT put it in netural and just stuck it in forward gear it rev it just about 2000 rpm and the loud noise comes back, and it dies out after 2-3 sec. Same if i put it in reverse. (loud noise as like something shattering/moving inside the case)

From doing that i figured it aint the block since putting it in gear on netural runs fine am i correct?

So what can it be? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks vince.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1995 yamaha O/B Loud noise Dies out.

Your mechanic is right.You need a lower unit.You may be able to pull the old one apart instead of getting another core.

erniefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1995 yamaha O/B Loud noise Dies out.

why don't you get a used lower unit? all day long on ebay or from one of the out recyclers, just trying to save you money e