Urgent help needed. Trim & Tilt problem on 140 hp Suzuki 2006

markmos

Recruit
Dear all,

I hope someone may be able to help.

I have just trailed my boat from the UK to the South of France - 1200 miles!

The boat has been flawless since I purchased it (Zodiac Yachtline 530 & DF140 Suzuki).

We have just tried to launch her and the power trim will only go down - it will not go up. It is NOT the case that it is struggling to go up, rather nothing what so ever happend when the UP button is pressed. The trim motor works as normal when lowering the engine. I have tried both the control button and the one mounted on the engine.

I see that on the trim unit there is a screw labelled 'open / close' - Is this an emergency release valve which will at least enable me to manually raise the engine??

Any ideas what the fault could be??

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Thanks Mark

James R

Commander
Re: Urgent help needed. Trim & Tilt problem on 140 hp Suzuki 2006

When you press the up button do you hear the trim pump running. My guess is that you dont. Could be the solenoid. You will need to access the solenoid and try jumping the power across it ie bypassing the solenoid. If the pump works then it is a solenoid or connection problem. Do not screw the relief valve out more than say 1.5 turns or you will have a major problem. The seals in the port will fall out and they are very difficult to get back in.
Most times it is just bad electrical connections that cause these problems.