Winterizing Yamaha 175

sailorman

Recruit
Hi, Can anyone tell me the proper way/steps to winterize my outboard? I've always had Sterndrives and this is my first outboard. Thanks for the help

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Winterizing Yamaha 175

If you would use our "search" function you will get a lot of good info on what other are doing. Luckily, that is not something we do here in Florida.:p

What you will hear is to change the lower unit oil, you are making sure no water has intruded by doing that. Also a good thing to do every year anyway.

You will want to "fog" the carbs with seafoam. Since I like to run my motor dry of all fuel, you whould be spraying the seafoam after you have disconnected the fuel line and the motor is still running untill it stops.

Run the motor down and retract the tilt rams. Pull the plugs and spray more seafoam in the plug holes. Put the plugs back in.

Place a couple of mothballs under the engine cover. It should keep small toothy critters off the fuel lines, elect. wires, etc.

Throw a few logs on the fire and have a nice Winter. Me, I'll probable throw a few shrimp on the barbie and look forward to some cool weather to move the snapper and grouper a little closer in. :D

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Winterizing Yamaha 175

Don't forget to grease all the Zerks and the steering ram. Spray the powerhead with some anti corrosive. When I spray in the store and start into the plug holes I turn it over for a second or two to disperse the lubricant in the cylinder.
I'm sure there is a couple of other things to do people will chime in.