02 F40 Yamaha weak tell tale

fixer2

Cadet
I have an F40 and am wondering how strong the tell should be at say 5000 rpm.....water is comming out, but in an arc....not strong and straight....after a 2 mile run at say 5000 rpm,,then upon idle the exhaust has white smoke..like steam .....not thick and I let it idle for 3,4 minutes and the white smoke clears up ......motor runs strong to over 6000,I don,t go above 5300 to 5500 at wot....any help is appreciated......Phil

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 02 F40 Yamaha weak tell tale

I have an F40 and am wondering how strong the tell should be at say 5000 rpm.....water is comming out, but in an arc....not strong and straight....after a 2 mile run at say 5000 rpm,,then upon idle the exhaust has white smoke..like steam .....not thick and I let it idle for 3,4 minutes and the white smoke clears up ......motor runs strong to over 6000,I don,t go above 5300 to 5500 at wot....any help is appreciated......Phil

I had a 2004 F40 on my last boat. I bought it new. The tell tale was strong and was like a straight jet into the water, even at idle. Maybe you need you impeller changed?

If you run in salt water you could maybe have some salt build up affecting the tell tale.

I ran my motor in salt water and flushed every time using the hose fitting and never had any problems.

I also had some smoke from the engine from time to time but it always went away. I just took it as being normal.

I loved my F40. It was whisper quiet and very easy on gas. A peach of an engine.

Cheers

Andy

fixer2

Cadet
Re: 02 F40 Yamaha weak tell tale

Thanks Andy for the answer
After I sent this question,I caught a lad launhing a boat with an F50 ..his tell tale was also strong at idle, so I checked my impeller out and it was in need of replacement...3 blades on impeller were a little short of material.....took the boat out tonight and it now has a strong water flow...ran well
my motor is a 2000......not 02...got confused with my car.......Phil