115 HP 4-stroke Suzuki running odd

craig-444

Cadet
Hoping someone can shed some light.

I have a pair of 2003 Johnson/Suzuki 115hp 4-stroke motors. These are great engines except one of them is acting up a bit. One starts very hard when I let it sit for a week or so. Once I get it going it seems to only run on two cylinders and then will eventually run on all four once I nail it and leave it nailed for a couple minutes...I know with the water in the gas people have been saying this has caused fuel injectors to get clogged up, however the other motor runs perfect using the same gas. One day while anchored I emptied the fuel filter and put chevron techron into the tank. The motor ran good as new for the rest of the day. When back to the boat after one month, now the engine is acting up again. Even after I have it running on all four cylinders it still seems a bit off. At idle it appears to have a very slight misfire/skip, while the other engine runs perfectly. Any ideas? Should I just get the fuel system cleaned?

-any input would be appreciated.

bezerk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 115 HP 4-stroke Suzuki running odd

change the spark plugs

Turbosnail

Cadet

I Had The Same Problem Now My Motor Won't Start. Did New Spark Plugs Do The Trick?

James R

Commander

Could still be a water in the fuel problem. Often the water will gravitate to one motor. I'd try the filter fuel thing again but use a different fuel source. Also add Stabil to your fuel.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

get a clear cup and drain your vst in the cup.

to get to the drain of the vst take the stbrd side cover off.
on the bottom of the vst you wil see a clear hose and a drain screw from the vst.
loosen the screw and gas wil poor ou the clear hose.
dump it in your clear cup and tell us what you got.
drain the whole vst.

mutch

Seaman Apprentice

vst is vapor separator tank.......... it is behind the inlet manifold it has the high pressure fuel pump in it drain it and see what you find in there

Graeme

Turbosnail

Cadet

I Sent Away For The Suzuki Service Manual Once I Get It I'll Try To Check The Vst, Thanks For The Suggestion.

Turbosnail

Cadet

Do I need to releive the high pressure before draining into a cup?

Turbosnail

Cadet

Something else my clear hose isn't so clear it looks like brown, or something. Like varnished or old.

Big Dawg 256

Recruit

I have a similar problem. I would suggest taken your fuel bulb off and pumping the contents into a clear container. If you see brown debris in it you have to change ur fuel line(easy fix $30.00). What you have is the ethanol is eating the fuel line protective liner. The debris will look like small bits of brown glass. I described it to my mechanic as looking like a small pieces of a brown busted beer bottle. If you replace the fuel line cut a small portion of the line down the center and you will find the entire line is coated with this substance. Hope this helps