Yamaha overheat after grounding

Key Limin'

Recruit
Grounded in oyster shell/mud this weekend. Pushed it out. Went on my way. After about 15 minutes of cruising overheat buzzer came on. Stopped until it cooled down, and continued on my way. The next day, again after about 15 minutes of cruising the horn sounded again. Docked it, put it on a rack, minor scratches on the ss prop. After spinning the prop, seemed slightly out of balance. Yamaha 200, 2002, saltwater series. Any suggestions?

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha overheat after grounding

Could be the water pump impeller was damaged.When was the last time it was replaced ?

Key Limin'

Recruit

Bought the boat/motor with 35 hrs on it, now has 114. Impeller has not been replaced since I have owned it. Motor head did not act like it was overheated, ie no smell or smoke, but the lower unit felt very hot to the touch. Is there a heat sensor on the lower unit? I have heard that there is an allowable tolerance for a propeller to be "out of round". I guess, fearing the worse, that I may have damaged the shaft. However I checked an identical motor next to mine and found his prop to be slightly "out of round" also. Panicking, or check the easy stuff first?

Thanks

Is motor still spraying water out of pee hole?If not flush with hose pipe if yours has the hook up on side of motor and check to see if pee hole is stopped up with sand if so take piece of wire and run up in it to clear.

Key Limin'

Recruit

Yes, pee hole has a strong flow, actually noticed an increase according to my guages after incident.