15HP Yamaha Conversion to Elec/Remote

winsor94

Cadet
I have a Yamaha 15 HP 4-stroke (2005) #f15mlhk and need to convert it from Tiller/Manual to Remote/Electric Start. I can't seem to find a dealer with all the answers to how to go about doing this. They say it'll be easier buying a new one. I really don't want to though. Can anyone out there offer some part assistance? Has anyone done this?

Last edited:

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 15HP Yamaha Conversion to Elec/Remote

go to yamaha-motor.com and look up the F15PLRD model to see the starter motor and remote controls you'll need plus the 2 attaching kits-one for starter...one for remote controls....plus wiring harness and control cables...starting to sound expensive yet ??:cool:

ggreenbe

Cadet

I didn't do this myself. But I had the Yamaha dealer convert my 9.9 4-stroke from tiller model to one using cockpit controls. It cost me about $200 more. I consider it worth the money.

winsor94

Cadet

Thanks for the tips. I understand it's going to cost some money, but it needs to be done. I'll keep trying different dealers until someone will spend the time to put a shopping list together. I'll also try the web site you suggested. I hope the process is to add the parts and not retrofit the entire motor.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

after consulting the Yamaha Rigging Guide I found you'll also need to add a steering arm,steering hook and replace the steering tube...you have to replace the tube or the motor may not steer equally left and right :cool:

winsor94

Cadet

Thanks again for the steering components. I looked at the site with the parts and now have to figure out what parts the motor already has vs. what I need to get. I'm getting closer though... I actually am speaking with a dealer who is putting a shopping list together for me (with prices). I'll let everyone know the details when (if) I get them.