1994 Yamaha 200hp wierd idle, surging

woodnknots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When I say wierd, I mean that it sounds sort of like a Harley Davidson motorcycle idling. Not very smooth at all.
I took it out on the water for the first time ever today to test it out (just bought it, installed it) and it seemed to run a little rough at low speed, then when I brought it up on power it came to life with all sorts of power, then right away started losing power, then surging, then losing power, then surging. I couldn't get full power back at all, so I immediately turned around and came back.

What I've done so far- Checked spark gap-good .040
Checked all plugs to make sure all had soot from firing (they do)
drained carb bowls (maybe a water problem?).

One more thing, the sticker on the inside of the motor calls for NGK BR8HS-10 but it has brand new B8HS-10 (no R). Does this matter?

Motor is Yamaha model 200TXRS serial 766580

woodnknots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1994 Yamaha 200hp wierd idle, surging

I wanted to also ask about a possible symptom. I pulled off the airbox from the carbs, and there was gas pooling in the front part of all the carb barrels. Is this normal? Or am I getting too much fuel and flooding the plugs?

UPDATE: I replaced the spark plugs with the correct ones (resistive) and will probably try it on the water tonight. The idle doesn't sound much better as far as I can tell, but it's possible that these were symptoms of different issues. Won't know until I can get it on the water.

woodnknots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1994 Yamaha 200hp wierd idle, surging

I think I found the problem. The fuel pumps are rusty inside and one spring is broken and the other spring hardly has any spring left. I'm going to try and rebuild them and see where it goes from there!!