yamaha 20A points gap????timing?????

pavlos

Cadet
can anyone tell me what the points gap should be on my yam 20 A, and any timing details would be much appreciated. engine number is 653 L 301395 which i think is 76 I know its old but it has very low hours (about 15)

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: points gap????timing?????

I have my doubts a 1976 outboard would have points.

pavlos

Cadet

dealer told me it was 76 when i bought new fuel pump only taking his word. but it definately has two sets of points i am looking at them right now

pavlos

Cadet

also i have just found there is half an inch of play on the throttle lever that advances the timing quite a way before the linkage on the carb moves. should i have throttle cable connected at zero throttle with it right back in the fully retarded position or as i have been at the point just before the carb link opens? I hope this makes sense to people with more knowledge of outboards than me.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: yamaha 20A points gap????timing?????

What country are you in? Yamaha branded outboards were first sold in the U.S. in 1984. Have you contacted Yamaha customer service or a dealer in your country?

pavlos

Cadet
Re: yamaha 20A points gap????timing?????

I am in the uk. I am begining to suspect it is not as old as 76. somebody must know the answer to one of these questions surely????