2002 Yamaha 150 HPDI Dies on Slow Idle

holmesge

Recruit
My 2002 Yamaha 150 HPDI has begun to die on prolonged slow idle.

Runs fine at normal speeds.

After pumping primer bulb a couple times motor starts easily and runs for several minutes but will die again while at idle.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting ?

Just recently replaced standard filter with a Racor 10 micron filter. It tightened up easily with no leaks.

Any help is appreciated.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2002 Yamaha 150 HPDI Dies on Slow Idle

You just answered your own question. The bulb is shot - replace it and all will be good to go.:D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

my guess is the primer bulb is good as its working and manually filling the VST bypassing the two low pressure diaphram lift pumps.
my guess would be your low pressure pumps are failing and cannot pump fuel at low speeds.
happens
its why I reccomend replacing lift pumps every 3 years, also clean the VST at least yearly.
carefully test the system for air leaks, can be done with a vacum guage T'd into the lower pump suction line, you should see at least 1/2" HG and no more than 4" at WOT.
you either have a minor airleak someplace or the lift pumps are failing.
by priming with the bulb your simply bypassing the lift pumps and filling the VST mnually, thats why I dont suspect a primer bulb failure.

holmesge

Recruit

Found that the o-ring on the fuel filter inside cowling is leaking .

Plan to replace the o-ring and the plastic nut that holds this assembly in place.

Suspect I may have over tightened / stripped the plastic nut when I changed the filter a few months back.

Hope this solves the problem.

Thanks for the comments.

chapin123

Cadet

Found that the o-ring on the fuel filter inside cowling is leaking .

Plan to replace the o-ring and the plastic nut that holds this assembly in place.

Suspect I may have over tightened / stripped the plastic nut when I changed the filter a few months back.

Hope this solves the problem.

Thanks for the comments.

Hi i have similar problem with my 150 HPDI. It stalls when anchoring and getting to dock. The laptop said TPS so i set to .64 and not sure if this is right. Please help with TPS correct setting!

Also the laptop said Switch Position Sensor and i replaced, but still having same problem.

I will appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Chapin123