New Yamaha 4 storke 9.9 oil leak, flywheel stuck

rustyfisher05

Recruit
So, I thought I bought a new motor and would be able to get at least a couple of outings without issue. The motor is a '08 Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 tiller outboard. I picked up the motor last week from the dealership, where it ran great (once). I had the shop load the motor in the back of the (covered) truck, where is sat until I went to try it out this weekend. Upon getting to the boat ramp, and removing the motor from the truck, I noticed a small amount of oil outside the motor. I went ahead and attached the motor to the boat, and trimmed it up to launch the boat. After getting the boat in the water, I notice oil traveling rather readily out of the intake on the motor.

I inspected the spark plugs (light with gas), and I tried to turn the motor over (via electric start). Given a newly charged battery, the starter clicked, but no turn of the flywheel. Even manually, I tried to move the flywheel, but with no avail? I not sure where to start. Anyone with ideas?

I'm aware of needing to correctly set down a 4 stroke motor horizontally. Given the shop loaded the motor, I assumed they were loading it correctly.

rustyfisher05

Recruit
Re: New Yamaha 4 storke 9.9 oil leak, flywheel stuck

Well - for those who may have had this same (similar) problems, here is the solution. The oil leaked due to the motor sitting on the wrong side- take note of the owners manual. The flywheel was stuck (of sorts) because there was oil sitting in the cylinders. To fix the latter, unscrew the spark plugs then turn the engine over a few times to help remove the oil. Tilt the motor back and forth a few times to again help getting the oil out. Spray off the spark plugs with sparking fluid/ gas to dry them off. Then spray the cylinders lightly, very lightly with starting fluid or gas. Drop the engine into a tank/lake/ use ear muffs, etc to start the engine - should be back in business.

Good luck

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New Yamaha 4 storke 9.9 oil leak, flywheel stuck

Don't forget to top up the oil level since you are probably low due to the leakage. ;)