Overheat at wot new water pump manual no help...

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I was out yesterday first time with less then 5 people in the boat so i wanted to see how fast the boat would run. GPS in hand i run it up to 5400 rpms with a 21 pitch prop. After about 4 or 5 mins the over heat alarm comes on and immediately shut off. Let it cool of and started it back up and ran for hours at 4500 or less with no over heat on the way back in i run at 5200 and it overheats again. It seems only over 5000 will it over heat. The boat has a new impeller on it and i flush constantly. The manual says it may be the tstats but they did ok in the boil test in the manual. What else am I missing? The boat pees strong enough to cut a hole in concrete.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Overheat at wot new water pump manual no help...

sorry this is a 92' 200hp v max counter rotating

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sounds like it's time to pull off the cylinder heads and clean the cooling passages in the block and in the cyl heads - you'll have to split the heads and water jackets apart to fully clean inside...find a shop with a bead blaster(like sand blasting) and see if they'll clean the heads :cool:

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

would slat away or anything like that work. I flush ever time and run mostly in fresh or brackish water...

James R

Commander

May be a lubrication problem, not enough oil being delivered.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was thinking not enough oil.... would to little to not enough lead to this? I had just put gas and oil in...

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, if i had some gunk in the water jacket, wouldn't the pee stream be week.

James R

Commander

The pee stream as you call it is no indication that water is running around the waterways correctly, only that the pump is pumping.
The telltale is there to tell you of a failed pump impeller for the most part.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if you have any kind of build up in the cooling passages-it causes turbulence in the water flow making air bubbles thus not cooling as well :cool: