Yamaha 9.9 cooling Water Problem

slafever11

Recruit
I have a 2004 Yamaha 9.9 outboard (long shaft for sailboat). I winterized it November 2007. When I went to start it this season, it started right up, but the cooling water "indicator" stream did not emit emit water. I shut the engine down (30-45 seconds), cleaned the intake screen (no visible dirt), and tired again, obtaining the same result.

Any Ideas? What is the next procedure? I am guess that there may be silt clogging somewhere. How should I proceed? This engine has only 60 hrs on it. No other problem to date.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 9.9 cooling Water Problem

Did it feel hot ? I doubt an impeller would go on a motor this new but you never know.
Did you make sure the hose from the exhaust jacket to the tell tale hole is clear ? Various insects like to build their home in the tell tale outlet.

carboman

Seaman Apprentice

I was having the same problem on a 1995 9.9 long shaft that sat for one year.

After runing it a while, it cleared up, but before that, it was clogging the water pump tel tale hose with chunks of grease and small salt deposits that were coming out of the engine.

When running it for the first time this weekend, I kept a coat hanger on board and stuck it up the hose when it clogged.
It seems to have fixed the problem. Be careful, the water is hot coming out of there!

I hear these engines are sort of notorious for salt deposits cloging up the water pump tell tale hose. Makes me wonder what the rest of the water ciruit looks like!

I have a 1995 Evinrude 2 cyl/2 stroke long shaft that is super clean. Never saw this problem.

Good luck!

slafever11

Recruit

Thanks gentleman. Problem solved. I used a paper clip to clear the orifice. It must have been salted closed.
:)

carboman

Seaman Apprentice

the ultimate fix was to take off the exhaust port manifold on the side of the engine and scrape out all the crap that was in there. once this was done, the engine ran a ton cooler!