Suzuki DF90 vs Yamaha F80/F100

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All,
Weight of these engines put aside, is a Suzuki DF90 any better choice than a 4-stroke fuel-injected Yamaha or vice versa? What matters most is (1) reliability and durability, (2) performance and fuel consumption, (3) ease of servicing, diagnostics and troubleshooting.
My own preference so far has been Suzuki DF90 for its design (would look better on my boat), higher gearbox ratio (2.59), quiet running, lower cost and a lot of positive feedback from its owners. However seems like in the past it was marketed under the names of Johnson and Evinrude - does it have anything to do with its quality?
Thanks in advance,
Dmitriy

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki DF90 vs Yamaha F80/F100

I'd say that the perception is usually that Yamaha is a slightly higher quality product and that is refleted in it's price difference, in the UK at least, where the Yamaha F80 would be ?1000 roughly more expensive than the Suzuki D75.

The Yamaha would maybe have better corrosion resistance built in. The Suzuki would still be a cracking engine though.

What is the Warranty situation in your market? One better than the other maybe?

What about Dealer support? Where is closest and what reputation do they have?

The latest Honda 90 seems like a cracking engine, on paper at least. It has a Vtech engine now which is a feature I like and the design to me looks fresher than the Suzuki or Yamaha. I haven't read any reviews of it though.

I have a F80 Yamaha at the minute and had a F40 on my last boat. I like Yamaha alot but am not impressed with my local Yamaha Dealer who charges rip off servicing rates. The times they quote for jobs are ridiculous. Every dealer is different though. Having said that the F80 is very easy to do routine maintenance on. Definitely DIY friendly. The other makes would likely be the same.

Good luck with your choice.

Andy

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. I consider buying it in Russia where I go for holidays now and then. It's for freshwater only.

Pricing is the following in most of the shops I've checked: Suzuki DF90 is at $12200 and Yamaha F100 is at $13500. The absolute minimum I've found Suzuki DF90 selling for is $11500 but that's 600 miles away from where I need it, so transportation will probably take a few hundred bucks. I also considered buying an outboard in the States (found a Suzuki DF90 + kit at $7800 in Florida) and sending it over by sea/ground but the 30% import tax and transportation costs would eat all my savings. Anyway I could still afford a Yamaha F100 but there's got to be serious reasons to justify the higher cost. Higher quality is surely one of them. The warranty offered in Russia is 2 or 3 years on a Suzuki and I haven't checked it yet for a Yamaha.

The situation with service is really bad there - the local official service shops charge crazy money and are still overloaded with customers. I'll be servicing mine with a mechanic who I can trust, so ease of DIY service is quite appreciated.

I haven't looked much at Honda outboards as this mechanic said they're more gentle, harder to diagnose and there are less parts for them. Honda outboards are priced at least at Yamaha level there. After all silver Honda is the worst fit for my boat colour wise. Still I'll check this new VTEC one you're referring to.

Thanks for your advice again!

Best Regards,

Dmitriy

reeldutch

Lieutenant

get the suzuki.

the suzuki DF 90 is a solid motor.
the maintenance is very simple on this motor and you will be able to do yourself.
waterpump is a joke.
the tstats, high pressure fuel filter , regular fuel filter, oil filter are all very easy to replace.

if you compare that to the more costly yamaha (wich is a solid engine to) i think i know what i would buy.

forget about the honda maintenance on that thing is a pain compared to the suzuki.

but i would say all 4stroke fuel injected engines are good motors.
i would stay away from carbed 4 strokes.

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi reeldutch,

Thanks for your reply.

By the way how much fuel does each of these engines consume per minute or hour at a "cruise" RPM? At least approximately.

Thanks in advance,

Dmitriy

reeldutch

Lieutenant

it all depends on the load the engine is pushing.

the type of hull
prop selection
drag in water
weight inside the hull(gear)
etc etc

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All I know from the boat seller is that it consumes 30 litres per hour, which is around 6.6 gallons per hour (Merc 90hp ELPTO 2-stroke). I'd like to estimate fuel cost savings as a result of swapping this old engine for a 4-stroke that I want to do anyway for various reasons.

The boat is 5.75m (17ft) long and is made of aluminium-based allow, so is quite heavy.

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

According to this test the F80 used 25.8 litres at 5700 rpm. This figure is obviously just a guide as all the variables will be different to yours..

http://www.yamaha-motor.at/Images/2006_Outboards_Yamaha-testfacts_tcm29-108074.pdf

Works out at nearly ?40 (UK pounds) or about $80 (US Dollars) per hour, yikes!

If I potter about in my boat at 2000 rpm or so I will use about 5 litres an hour roughly.

Cheers

Andy

JRJ

Commander

I thought F80/F100 are carbed? If so, no comparison. Go Suzuki or Johnson badged Suzuki.

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Andy - thanks for the pdf indeed. I thought the fuel economy compared to a 2-stroke Merc 90hp would be much more than just 5L/hr. Assuming that the figure of 30L/hr for Merc is correct I'll be saving about $5/hr (1 L in Russia is $0.87 at the moment). It's never bad but seems like I'll need to go boating for the rest of my life on the new 4-stroke to justify such upgrade )) Still there are other good things about 4-strokes e.g. no oil consumption which I like.

Commander - do you mean injected Yamahas aren't as good compared to (injected) Suzukis? And who actually designed Suzuki DF90, Johnson engineers or Suzuki engineers?

Cheers,

Dmitriy

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The latest F80 & 100 are fuel injected. In Europe Yamaha are EFI down to 50hp now, I think.

The test I posted the link to may be for a carbed F80. Mine is carbed and dated from year 2000. The difference between a carbed and injection engine wouldn't be a great deal. They would both be within the same rough level I think. Maybe someone else could clarify that one?

It would be worth checking out the fuel consumption of the 2 -stroke you mention. The difference may be greater.

There's a lot more to it than fuel consumption though. For me, I like a leisure product to be quiet and the 4-stroke motor certainly is. It's ideal for my kind of boating.

Cheers

Andy

JRJ

Commander

According to the Yamaha site, they currently offer EFI F90 then EFI F115 and I'm sure both are fine motors.
EFI is a major plus over Carbs IMO.
Suzuki designed and builds their motors. For a short time, Suzuki supplied Johnson with EFI 4-strokes which was a good deal. Good luck.

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These days I'd prefer an injected one too. Have come across some owners complaining about having to clean their carbs now and then even with a fuel filter, don't know what's wrong with fuel there but wouldn't like the same issues.

Yamaha F90 has probably never been destined for that market as I can't see any of those there. If it were it'd be even harder to choose between Suzuki and Yamaha as 90hp are quite enough for everything I can imagine doing.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

D.