Yamaha timing plate

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there. I have a 200etxd. I picked up a seloc manual to give my timing a look at. Maybe I should have spent the bucks and bought a yammy one lol.I followed the instructions in the manual over and over. .012 before tdc from # 1 cylinder. Timing pointer reads 6 to 7 degree's. If I follow the manual it says the pointer should align with the full advance of 21 to 23 degree's.( Big difference)
At this point I dont see any way of obtaining the seloc Numbers. Am I being a little dence here or is something up with the seloc manual ? lol. Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha timing plate

are you positive with that model number? the D indicates its a 2005 model which will be an EFI version but you dont have the sx prefix/
could it be a P model with a movable timer base and carbs ?
in any case be very careful with BTDC and ATDC.
most V6 yamahas idle about 5-7 degress AFTER TDC(ATDC), and wide open at full load about 22* BEFORE TDC (BTDC)
be very aware of the difference between ATDC and BTDC.
but double check that model number.

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Rodbolt. It is a 200etxd ( 1990) carbed. Canadian numbers i guess. I am following that manual very closely but of coarse somethings are a little unclear. Seloc says-Dial indicator for cylinder 1 - Clockwise rotation till 0.012 BTDC. This is were it says -"At this point the timing pointer should align with the full advance timing specification as stated in the specifications chart." loosen the timing plate setscrew and align the plate.
The full advance spec is 21 to 23 degrees. And I have 6 to 7 btdc ( while idle spec is 6-7 atdc ) at the pointer? I must be missing something.

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Rodbolt.
I just spent some more time on this and this timing plate looks nonadjustable and mounted to the flywheel. timing pointer has a little adjustment. Timing plate is indexed 30-20-10-tdc1-10 with 2 degree graduations on it. There are no BTDC or ATDC markings on it at all. Following the Seloc instructions as stated in the last post I stopped the piston 0.012 BTDC. Because The flywheel was being turned clockwise I presumed ( I know, Dont Presume) the 6-7 degrees I obtained was btdc. As I was approching tdc when I stopped 0.012 btdc. Seloc says the reading shoud match the full advance spec at this point. I just cant beleive its correct. Any comments or suggestions? Or should I buy the Yamaha manual? Thanks.