Suzuki DF175 won't stay running

robayles

Seaman Apprentice
My Suzuki DF175 (2007) will turn over, starts up for a couple of seconds and then dies. When it dies smoke comes out of the exhaust. I've replaced the fuel/water seperator filter and I've treated the gas that was in the boat and have added new fresh gas. I've drained the old gas from the bowl back to the fuel water seperator so that now only fresh/treated gas gets into the motor but yet the motor still dies after cranking. On my old outboard with carb the fuel filter was easy to replace. I cannot locate any fuel filter on this engine.

Any ideas why the motor won't stay running and how to correct?

The Big O

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: Suzuki DF175 won't stay running

you should drain the vst tank into a glass container and inspect it for water.

on the bottum of the vst tank is a clear plastic hose,
just above that is a drain screw that you can open up.
dont unscrew it all the way just crack it open and give it a few turns.

if you have water in the vst tank you should do the following.

- drain all fuel lines including fuel rail at the injectors
- change low pressure filter(blue filter)
- put fresh gas in little shop tank and squeze the primer to fill up the little fuel filter and the vst tank.
- remove the high pressure fuel filter and make sure the hose that fills the hp filter is in a bottle or something.
turn the key to on to activate the hp fuel pump.DO NOT CRANK. just in on position. do this a few times to get some gas out.
fresh gas should come out. if gas is clean connect the high pressure fuel filter.
- with the fuel rail still open turn the key a few times to flush the rail with fresh fuel. do not crank just turn it on an off a few times until you see gas poring out.
- put the drain plug back in the fuel rail and
turn the key to fill up and pressurize fuel rail.

now you are ready to start engine.

if the engine starts but runs like its missing you might need to send out the injectors to a shop to get them cleaned.
before you send them out check for spark.
also make shure your batterys are in good condition and fully charged.
does the motor sends of any codes?

like beep .............. beep.............beep
hope this will help you.
-

robayles

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help. Did all that you suggested and found dirty fuel. I had a mechanic help me but got everything cleaned, fresh gas, new fuel/water seperator. Took a little effort to get it started but now runs great. The mechanic speculated that the ethanol in the gas stirred up some crap on the bottom of the tank (boat is 10 years old) and ran it through the motor.

The Big O

reeldutch

Lieutenant

good to hear shes running again.

what happens is that you get phase seperation.

first layer is water middle layer is Alcohol top layer is fuel with very low octane.

the alcohol/ethanol will clean your fuel tank out.
the 10 micron filter should keep most of it out.
the water is the reason you could not run the motor. and because water is more denser than gas
it will be sucked up first.

keep the fuel fresh and ad some startron.
if you have older than 3 months of gas i would be very care full here in the North East.

good luck