2002 Suzuki 2-Stroke 225 Overheat/Insurance Denial of Claim

cbfHouston

Recruit
Hello all. This is my first post here and I've done some searching on the forum for my answer but to no luck.

I've got a 2002 Suzuki 225 2-Stroke outboard. This engine has about 100 hrs on it and is maintained perfectly, new water pumps yearly, it's a smooth running engine.

The problem occurred when I ran it into a mud 'reef' hidden in about 12 inches of water. The water depth went from about 4 feet to 12 inches without much warning. It's somewhat typical for the Houston Bay area. The engine ran for about 10 seconds before I could even figure out what happened and the overheat alarm came on. I shut off the engine immediately and got a tow back to the docks.

Turns out the #4 cylinder/piston literally melted due to what I consider the overheating. (Right hand side middle cylinder)

Now I'm dealing with insurance and they've denied my claim that the engine overheated due to me running into this shallow water. Their expert claims and I quote 'damage was not caused my overheating but by a lean burn. Overheating damage starts at the top cylinder and moves down. This damage was in the center cylinder and nowhere else'.

Anyone out there had this BS response from an insurance carrier? And anyone out there know of anything that I can wave at this company as proof that this was due to overheating and me running into this mud. My mechanic and the insurance expert also dismantled the rest of the engine and noticed mud all through the system. We have pics of all this.

Any help is appreciated!

Chris
Houston, TX
2003 24 ft FishMaster

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 Suzuki 2-Stroke 225 Overheat/Insurance Denial of Claim

you may wish to contact the insurance comisioners office in your state.
also check the heads for warpage, overheat will almost always warp them.
its not uncommon to see damage to other pistons when the water is suddenly shut off.
have your tech obtain a copy of the suzuki video "piston failure analysis" very good video.
overheat leaves distinctive marks as does lean burn and cold seizure.
but 10 seconds usually wont fry a motor especially at low speeds.
I caught a bag some years back on lake Benbrook and fried #2 cyl on a nice running 70 johnson, happened about the time the hot horn sounded.
so I do know it can happen.
but in a dispute with an insurance company carefully document everything ,pictures and video work well.
then you may have to contact your states insurance commissioners office and file a dispute claim.
and most adjusters are NOT experts, trust me on this.

cbfHouston

Recruit
Re: 2002 Suzuki 2-Stroke 225 Overheat/Insurance Denial of Claim

Thanks Rodbolt, That is very good information for me to have and I'm happy that I might have some recourse in this situation. I'll have my tech check the heads for warpage and will also look at the video. We've taken a slew of pics so far with the engine so I'm hoping this will also provide some proof.

How about hiring my own 'expert' in a case like this? Or should I just trust my mechanic who says he'll back up his opinion that this was due to an everheating issue.

Thanks,
Chris