89 yamaha 150 surging

will846

Recruit
I have a 1989 yamaha 150hp outboard. It starts perfect and runs and idles great. When you give it the gas and hit full throttle sometimes is boggs down and you have to back it off to about half throttle. After you do that you can hear it sounding like its catching up to itself then itll hit full throttle again. My father went out with me this last time and primed the bubble while it was running full throttle and it did just fine. When he let off it would bog down again. Im putting new 3/8" id hose and a new bubble on it today. Any more suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

erniefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 89 yamaha 150 surging

also replace /check the fuel line connector,i believe these motors were not hard plumbed to the motor, could also be carbs ,remove air box and squirt fuel from a mister bottle to carbs to determine which one may be the culprit

will846

Recruit
Re: 89 yamaha 150 surging

Alright, I found the problem with the 89' Yamaha 150hp. I though I would share it with the forum incase anyone else has the same problem. The fuel line was kinked, and there is a filter in the fuel line right infront of where it connected to the motor, that was clogged. The fuel line was corroded and the filter on the engine had all the little partacles in it. The outlet from that filter to the carbs was missing the hose camp and it fell off when I touched it. I inspected the carbs and they were clean and all the rest of the fuel lines were in good shape. I checked the compression on the cylinders and it was even across the board (maybe 2 or 3 pounds off). I started the engine and even at idle it sounded stronger than ever and problem solved. All in all not a bad deal for a boat I got off a friend for $1,500. It's a 1989 Astro Glass 195V with a 1989 Yamaha 150 horse.