2005 115 yamaha 4 stroke squeaky noise

happonen

Recruit
I have 2005 115 yamaha 4 stroke ,after full throttle and slowing to low rpms I hear a a chirping sound from the motor every couple of seconds then it goes away after a minute or two.The warning indicators shows nothing,the water pump is working,any ideas

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2005 115 yamaha 4 stroke squeaky noise

I've heard a couple of people say that it may be a dry drive shaft guide bushing that causes that (need to grease it)

Scott

louisp

Cadet

Hey happonen, did you ever resolve the chirping sound? I have a similar issue with a '05 F115, at first I thought I heard a squeaky belt but turns out the sound was coming from mid-section. After it warms up, it sounds like a bearing going out (or am I paranoid). I've read in this forum about plastic parts that could cause similar noises, but the metal and plastic housing in the mid-section seem hot after running- but that could be normal. Anyhow, I wasn't taking a chance and it's in the hands of Yamaha mechanics now.

loyoki

Seaman Apprentice

Don't matter, it is normal on a F115, it is just the tensioner assy (pulley to tend the belt) part 67F-11590-00-00. Just grease it with WD40.
Lo?c
FRANCE

louisp

Cadet

Don't matter, it is normal on a F115, it is just the tensioner assy (pulley to tend the belt) part 67F-11590-00-00. Just grease it with WD40.
Lo?c
FRANCE
There's quite a few F115's around here but so far mine is the only one with this particular noise. I had it in to the local Yamaha dealer to check it out since I just purchased it used, they said everything was fine and greased something in the mid-section while the foot was off. It ran quiet for about 20 minutes then came back. I put 6 hours on it with a heavy load (pulling 3 person tubes) this weekend and no problems except the squeal. What's aggravating is it won't make the noise till it warms up and runs under load, so I can't duplicate it in my yard. It's hard to pinpoint the seat of the noise while it's in the water, but to me I would estimate it to be the bearing located at the top of the shaft (part # 93317330U200). If that is indeed my problem, is that bearing and housing accessible with the foot off. But I 'll try the wd-40 suggestion first. Even if it's not a problem, half of my fishing is trolling and this will drive me (more) nuts.

One more question, my manufacture date says 11/05, so is this a 2005 model or 2006? The parts lookup is different for the two models. My S/N is 68V X 1059382 with a K below it, if that helps. Again, thanks for all the input.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

all the big F motors used a bushing just above the waterpump in the mid section, some times they squeak.
have the dealer check the bushing carefully,especially in salt water areas and use a lube like quicksilver special lube 101 to grease it.
DO NOT spray the tensioner with ANY oil.
if the tensioner is bad its simply bad but putting oil on a drive belt is really bad.
as far as year model is concerned yours is most likly an 06 production run, only the model number will tell me.
the 05 will have 4 alpha characters ending in D and the 06 will only have 3 alpha charaters behind the HP number.

louisp

Cadet

Thanks Rodbolt, the model is F115TXR. The dealer had the foot off and lubed something, but after 4 unreturned phone calls and 3 weeks just to check this out, I would rather do it myself. I'll call them to confirm if this was the part they lubed, but if it was the fix didn't last long. When I looked on the Yamaha parts diagram, I couldn't identify the specific bushing you mention. Is this a part I can replace? I have pretty good mechanical skills and LOTS of time, just retired! Once again, many thanks.