96 Yamaha Steering Cable

orlandoscout

Recruit
First I must disclaim that I know very little about outboard repairs.
Recently I took my Scout out and as I turned the boat I noticed it was difficult to steer, I forced the steering as I made a sharp turn and the steering wheel broke off. I assume that the problem lies in the steering cable, therefore I have purchased a new teleflex steering cable, and helm. I attempted to disconnect the cable/rod off the motor however came across some problems. I loosened the bolts at each end of the cable/rod and attempted to pull the cable/rod out of the housing. (see photos at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=p2z82qh.7wzrgg4d&x=0&y=nmjlpi&localeid=en_US ). I was able to pull the cable on the left side of the motor(looking at the motor from inside the boat) however nothing happened to the rod on the right. I hoped that the rod was 1 piece that extended from the left of the motor to the right, it appears as though they are not connected. I then took a hammer and hit the rod on the right side from left to right. The rod moved approx. 2 inches however nothing happend on the left side of the motor. I am not sure if the rod should be driven through the housing completely. If so please provide recco for how to drive it all the way through to the other side.

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 96 Yamaha Steering Cable

The rod is actually one unit with two pieces, one riding inside of the other. Continue hammering it out. Try not to mushroom the end from hammering. Once the rod recesses inside the tube you will need a long punch to hammer it all the way out. Use lots of penetrating oil. Make sure the cable lock nut is completely free. From your picture it looked like it was. Try to clean out as much junk as possible from steering tube before inserting new teleflex set up.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 96 Yamaha Steering Cable

Get a pair of vice grips,a good pair.Remove the steering bar out of the cable hole.You will see the area ,about an inch or two toward the motor from the hole,put you vice grips on there and try and turn the cable,both ways,if the vice grips dont work get a pipe wrench.Once it loosens ,try and pull out from other side,if it gets stuck in the motor tap it through while someone pulls the other side,dont hit the end of the cable with the hole,without putting a bolt in the hole,it WILL mushroom,if you cant turn it with wrench you may need to use heat on the eng.tube.But its dangerous.Get back with your progression after the vice grip/wrenck try