Suzuki 1988 65HP idle control.

James R

Commander
Adjustment of this switch makes no difference to the idle speed. The switch apears to be in good condition and it is plugged in correctly. A test meter across the switch shows no reading on any ohm setting. A similar test on a 115HP switch gave the same no reading on the meter. I had the idea that these switches were just a swiched resistor but aparently not.
Can anyone tell me how I might test this switch or the CDU.
Thanks.

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki 1988 65HP idle control.

Hey James, I have an 88 dt150 that is doing the same, in the manual it states that the V6 should show an ohm reading at the Rx100 scale at 200-250 ohms. I also get no reading. Ive also tried to loosen the screws and adjust the sensor but to no avail. Hopefully someone on here could point us in the right direction.
Motor runs great if I can get it in gear before it stalls, also tough at the dock due to stalling. If I adjust the idle screw on top carb, it idles too high, and I know thats not good for my LU.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys, since you both get no reading and have the same problem, couldn't it be that yours are both bad because you don't get the 250 ohms ???? Isn't that what the test is telling you ????

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats quite possible, although in the manual it shows for the 140hp and below, that a 9v battery is connected in the circuit to test it correctly. For the V4-V6, it doesnt mention a connection to a battery, it just says to ohm between the ltgreen/red and the black to receive the reading. Just looking to verify prior to purchasing the valve sensor.

James R

Commander

To clear the air a little.
Thanks guys for coming back but from what I see we may have some confusion between my problem with the idle adjust switch and the throttle position sensor.
Not all motors have the switch, some later models have no idle adjustment and were fitted with a fixed resistor.
If the throttle position sensor is not corectly set then this will affect the idle.

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I'm not mistaken, the idle control switch is directly affecting the throttle valve sensor, thus if the TVS is not telling the system to idle up, then the idle control switch is useless.

James R

Commander

Thanks GSY. You may be correct but the two elements, although both affect the ignition timing, have a different function. If the throttle position sensor is not working you will most likely see a poor performance at most rev ranges.
The idle set switch simply sets the start point of the ignition timing setting.

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats what has my goose, motor runs great at all revs, yet will stall at idle under load. Anyhow, I've ordered a new throttle valve sensor, so we'll see if that does the trick. Thanks James

James R

Commander

Ok GSY. Let me know how your luck is with the throttle position sensor.
I know that the sensor on this DT65 is working.