Overheat alarm '93 225 Yamaha

newellchunker

Seaman
OK, I finally got the new water pump kit installed put everything back together and fired her up on the muffs. Good amount of water from the telltale, got down from the boat and was actually feeling the heads with my hands (they were right warm) when after about 3 minutes I heard the alarm go off, got to the helm and it was the overheat alarm, immediately shut her down and then I checked the thermostats....there didn't appear to be any water up around the stats??? (I didn't have this problem (overheating) before I replaced the water pump kit. I have done nothing else besides water pump kit.) I dropped the lower again, and checked everything and it appeared OK. I have not run her again for fear of cooking her......any ideas or suggestions??

newellchunker

Seaman
Re: Overheat alarm '93 225 Yamaha

Anybody out there?

Can you run this engine w/out the thermostats and outside covers to see if water is getting up there (w/out damaging it)? And will this help give any indication of my problems??

Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no its not reccomended to run without the t-stats and no it wont give you an indication of your problem and will in fact create more.
why not simply do the entire job to include cleaning the pressure control pocket and replacing that $1.50 grommet and watch your issue dissapear.
most common reason for your issue is a stuck pressure control valve due to corrosion on the back of the grommet or debris in the valve. will dump water presure at low speeds and wont fill the block.
if the water pump was done correctly, and the T-stsats are good and the control valve is working the tell tale on a 2.6L V6 should almost dig a hole in concrete.

newellchunker

Seaman

Rodbolt,

It had a weak telltale and after I cleaned the pressure valve decided to go ahead and order new valve, spring, gasket and also new water pump housing, thermostats and gaskets....this was a used boat and motor and the guy I bought it from had no idea of it's history....It had compression of 104-108 on each cylinder and seemed to shift fine...no water in the lower fluid. I was just performing maint. when this mess crept up on me.

Now, how and where do I install the fitting to add a water pressure gauge on the block or head(s)??? Pics and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Also...how many ft/lbs per thermostat bolt and water pump housing bolt?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dude
first off, grab a clue
I cant even type what I think of you.
FT LBS on a 6mm bolt? are ya smokin ?
why bother to do half the maint?
its all in the manual, tech guide and your owners manual.
me? I will admit, I dont torque the silly t-stat covers, 6 INCHpounds aint worth it.
common sense and reading the service manual will go a long long way baby.
I am not meaning to bust your chops, I am trying to make you understand that theentire subsystem needs periodic maint just as described in the book not repairs when its broke.

I dunno why you ordered so many parts, the new style valve cant stick but we are finding theywear out, the old style never did.
never saw a spring fail.
is your old pump housing melted? if not its another big waste of cash.
but its very common to see a water pump get replaced and it will cause the pressure control valve to stick open
on the pressure guage, careful what you wish for but the answer is in the marine tech guide and the rigging guide.
sometimes the plugs take out the threads after a few years of saltwater

sorry if I sound sarchastic, its been a long week so far. all I wish is my yamaha customers play and have fun, its what its all about.

newellchunker

Seaman

dude
first off, grab a clue
I cant even type what I think of you.
FT LBS on a 6mm bolt? are ya smokin ?
why bother to do half the maint?
its all in the manual, tech guide and your owners manual.
me? I will admit, I dont torque the silly t-stat covers, 6 INCHpounds aint worth it.
common sense and reading the service manual will go a long long way baby.
I am not meaning to bust your chops, I am trying to make you understand that theentire subsystem needs periodic maint just as described in the book not repairs when its broke.

I dunno why you ordered so many parts, the new style valve cant stick but we are finding theywear out, the old style never did.
never saw a spring fail.
is your old pump housing melted? if not its another big waste of cash.
but its very common to see a water pump get replaced and it will cause the pressure control valve to stick open
on the pressure guage, careful what you wish for but the answer is in the marine tech guide and the rigging guide.
sometimes the plugs take out the threads after a few years of saltwater

sorry if I sound sarchastic, its been a long week so far. all I wish is my yamaha customers play and have fun, its what its all about.

Well DUDE!!

What I am thinking of a you as a SUPREME PRICK right now! KNOW what I ain't got no stinking manual and that's why I was on here....so get a f----ing clue, grab yours nuts and chill. I wanted advice not a scathing attack.