2005 Yamaha 250 4 Stroke-Hi Pressure Fuel Pump

I am having issues with clogging/failure of the Hi Pressure Fuel Filter. I have a 2005 2320 SL with 250 Yami 4 stroke and the boat is in the shop for the second time in less than 2 yrs for the Hi Pressure Pump problem. I am finding out that are a few others experiencing the same problem with the '05 model. Also something I have come to find out - the 2005 fuel pressure pumps are electrical while the '04 and '06 are mechanical. Yamaha originally claimed that this was not a warranty issue sighting fuel contamination. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2005 Yamaha 250 4 Stroke-Hi Pressure Fuel Pump

how is contaminated fuel a yamaha warrenty issue?
how often do you change your 10 micron yamaha water seperator ?

how is contaminated fuel a yamaha warrenty issue?
how often do you change your 10 micron yamaha water seperator ?

Contaminated fuel is not covered under waranty. That is what the dealer is claiming. I change my micron, fuel and oil every 100 hrs. I have yet to see a speck of residue in any of the filters. Problem is that the dealer has yet to fix the problem so I am still waiting for them to figure out why there is still a problem.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

where did you get the information about mechanical pumps on an F250?
and as Yamaha did not make the tank nor the fuel why would contaminated fuel be a Yamaha issue ?
gotta remember, the fuel we have been getting the past few years is junk and getting worse.
whats the part number of your fuel water seperator ?

where did you get the information about mechanical pumps on an F250?
and as Yamaha did not make the tank nor the fuel why would contaminated fuel be a Yamaha issue ?
gotta remember, the fuel we have been getting the past few years is junk and getting worse.
whats the part number of your fuel water seperator ?

Do you have a 2005 Yamaha 4 stroke? If not you probably fall into the category of several of my friends with 2004, 06 and an 07 Yami 4 stroke that live in the Southern Calif area, fish as hard as I do, use the same fuel as I am and they are NOT having the issues that many of us that own 2005's. And there are quite a few of us. Again in my case I am on pump # 2 others are on 3,4 and 5. None of the friends that I mentioned above have had to replace any of thier fuel pumps. The purpose of this thread is not to seek advise about fuel, maintenance, etc. as it is to shed some light on an issue that others may not be aware of but that are as frustrated as myself and the other folks that have come forth with the same issue. And yes some at Yamaha are aware of our problem with the 2005's.

tommays

Admiral

09.jpg

He is one of only 75 yamaha Certified Master Technicians and TRYING to help you :rolleyes: buy asking things like

"whats the part number of your fuel water seperator ?"

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am trying to help. its not a yamaha issue, the same high pressure pump has been in use on the F250 since its inception.
I am leaning towards your having a dealer/tech issue rather than an actual pump issue.
I cannot help you with the dealer/tech issue but I may be able to if its a yamaha issue.
do a dealer locator search for your area and try to find one with a master tech, not that it means much but at least the tech stayed awake.

suntanjam

Recruit

Its,

What makes you sure that its the fuel pump? When it was last in the water, was it running? If so, how was it running? Low rpms, bogging down, sputtering, no power, etc. I just had my high pressure pump apart and there's not a lot to it inside. I just spent a lot of money curing a problem I had on a 2004 F150 4 stroke. The dealer I was using was not honest and if I didn't stop him when I did I would have really been burned. I may have a solution for you but I need more info.

John

I am having issues with clogging/failure of the Hi Pressure Fuel Filter. I have a 2005 2320 SL with 250 Yami 4 stroke and the boat is in the shop for the second time in less than 2 yrs for the Hi Pressure Pump problem. I am finding out that are a few others experiencing the same problem with the '05 model. Also something I have come to find out - the 2005 fuel pressure pumps are electrical while the '04 and '06 are mechanical. Yamaha originally claimed that this was not a warranty issue sighting fuel contamination. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Its,

What makes you sure that its the fuel pump? When it was last in the water, was it running? If so, how was it running? Low rpms, bogging down, sputtering, no power, etc. I just had my high pressure pump apart and there's not a lot to it inside. I just spent a lot of money curing a problem I had on a 2004 F150 4 stroke. The dealer I was using was not honest and if I didn't stop him when I did I would have really been burned. I may have a solution for you but I need more info.

John

After replacing a fuel injector, and cleaning the rest as well as cleaning the VST filters there were still problems. They replaced the high pressuer pump and now everything works.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its rare to see an electric pump fail, usual cause is contaminated fuel.
ethanol fuel is nasty stuff as it can take the water past the seperator and screw up the rest of the system. if you dont like it write your congressman and lets get alcohol back in the correct container and out of our gas.
in the mean time I will admit its been very good for my bank account.