New Yamaha 25 foot leak exhaust? Help plz

swlaboater

Recruit
Hi, I just purchased a new Yamaha 25hp motor Sat for $3020. I ran it for 30min on the river and when I loaded it up I noticed a black oily film on the foot above the prop. This is where the foot seam is, or where you lower the foot. The leak is on the back side(it's about 2" wide) it goes all the way across. (if you look at the motor directly from the rear.

I'd like to know if this is acceptable for a brand new motor. I'm nervous about it wearing a bigger passage and leading on to other problems like getting water in the lower foot oil.

Thanks to everyone that helps with this question,
Jamie

swlaboater

Recruit
Re: New Yamaha 25 foot leak exhaust? Help plz

Also, will this shorten the life of the paint due to the excessive heat? Thanks, Jamie

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I personally don't think that's acceptable, but I have the same motor and it does it too. Mine has about 30 hours on it now and so far no ill effects to the paint. I just wipe it off when I take it out of the water. The hole doesn't seem to be getting bigger.

Mine doesn't start cold worth a darn either, and has been that way since new. I'm very disapointed in Yami quality. Not what I expected.

They are junk. My 56 year old Evinrude starts and runs better.

Dmitry

Seaman Apprentice

You are doing break-in for your engine, right? Are you mixing oil at 25:1 as per the manual? What you are observing is simply unburned oil exiting the exhaust channel. It is not "leaking". My dealer told me to use 50:1 during break in, but I did not listen and got the same effect.