yamaha 1991 85 HP

bras3737

Recruit
I am new to outboard motor world. Bought a 16 Chaparral with 85 HP 1991. Boat is old but little use over the yrs and none for the last 2. Owned by my brother and then by best friend.
Motor started but steering would not turn. I just found this site yesterday and read some of the entries that were similar to my problem.
When I remove the starboard side nut that holds that single steering cable, I can pull the cable and rod (looks straight) out together about 8-10". The rod does not slide into the cable sleeve. Should it? This makes the steering wheel move. The problem is the port side end does not slide in or out. I did remove it from the engine bracket and was able to turn it clockwise and counterclockwise which tells me that it is not seized. Tried to pry it out and tap it in gently but no in/out movement. Could the rod have just broken inside? should the starboard side slide out completely as it seems to catch on something once it is out the 8-10". I have the equipment to take motor out if need be. Anyone with similar steering system? Does the rod turn and lock inside the tube ie 2 piece system if there is one?

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: yamaha 1991 85 HP

Send a picture of the steering system. You need to carefully, but with some force bang the rod out of the sleave. remove the nut at the cable end (starbrd), the small nut which bolts onto the rod on the port side and using a 25-35cm long bolt or rod, punch with a hammer until the rod exits the cable side. spend some time working the rust and crap lining the inner parts of the sleave. usually if the rod extension works without getting stuck, the steering cable is fine, grease and reinstall.