trim and tilt suzuki dt-85 1982

esaxc28

Recruit
Can anyone give advice on my mate and myselfs next move, recent boat purchase with suzuki dt-85 8501-206435, i am sure 1982, it won't trim up or down, motor turns no probs, have spotted a leak in one of the trim cylinders/hydralic jacks, what do we do ,I have located a website that shows part numbers, can or should i obtain new seals and a replacement piston for the culprit , or is a bit of fluid loss acceptable for this age of outboard, i am thinking.. if i got it primed up with new fluid I may get it to work, or is that plain daft, just new to boats so not sure at all.
Regarding the tilt/trim, initially it wouldn't trim down but traced it to one of the relays a little corroded , cleaned it up and it worked fine up and down, before we launched boat done some initial checks on boat and i stupidly :mad:checked trim up then down , i forgot traveling arm was down, what a clown,so probably my own fault that cylinder is leaking..
1st...how do i try and re-fill system if its low, as won't go up or down to purge in new fliud...
2nd...what type of fluid , is it automatic transmission fluid /power steering rack fluid/hydralic jack fluid ..not sure and have'nt managed to find any spec info , also how much fluid goes into the system...
3rd...If i have to get into these trim cylinders will i have to remove the whole motor off the boat..:confused:
4th..While I am doing this how do i change over gear oil and how much does it take...looks a little tricky too:)
Sorry for the novice approach but we are boating on a budget hence in house repairs, too many hobbies running in paralell..cheers andy..

rustyriver

Cadet
Re: trim and tilt suzuki dt-85 1982

What was the first problem when it would not trim down. I am having the same problem when I hit the trim button something clicks and nothing happens motor was shipped used from Alaska trimmed all the way up. It has never gone down for me.