Suzuki DF40 opinions

Creekeraus

Recruit
Hi all, I have just purchased an old 3.8 Markham whaler and am going to upgrade the motor. This mainly due to someone fitting a 55 mariner when the boats only rated to 40hp max.
Does anyone have these ? any issues so far? pro a cons I should be aware of ?
Must appologise for all the Q's but $7-8k is alot of coins in my household.
With your knowledge i stand to make a better informed choice.
Thanks CJ

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Suzuki DF40 opinions

When Markham rated that boat for 40HP they expected an engine that weighs around 150-200LB, CJ.

I don't know what the Mariner weighs, but I suspect it is too much as well as being too many horses.

If my recollection is correct, the DF40 weighs near 250LB. That would be near the limit for transom weight, I think.

That said, the DF40 is a sweetheart of an engine; smooth, quiet and economical.

Creekeraus

Recruit

Thanks JB, I am still trying to find a transom weight for the boat but am drawing alot of dead ends here. I was abit put off by how heavy they are but even the lightest H40 is only 6lb lighter and most of the new 2strokes are about the same.

Might have to look at a 30hp and hope it's not too underpowered .:(

Thanks again CJ

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked at the DF40 a few years ago and noticed that this engine did not have the flushing port for attaching a hose. I think it and the 50, are the only larger Suzuki 4 strokes that don't have this. That was a show stopper for me as I run in salt water so need to flush and keep my boat in a marina. I doubt they have started fitting it, but it's worth checking. I can't figure why Suzuki did this.

I went for the F40 Yamaha due to this. I didn't regret it as the Yam is a peach. It's super quiet and smooth and is a good bit lighter than the Suzuki, as far as I remember. Maybe 10kg lighter? The Suzi is 4 cyl and Fuel injection though. The UK F40 is still carbs and is 3cyl. Maybe the US one is now fuel injection.

I also read that the F40 is a non-interference engine, so if the timing belt breaks you won't damage anything.

Good luck

Andy

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The DF40 is three cylinders and uses a chain to drive the twin cams.

The EFI and twin cam design do make it heavier, but I wouldn't buy a carbed engine if there was an EFI available.

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The DF40 is three cylinders and uses a chain to drive the twin cams.

The EFI and twin cam design do make it heavier, but I wouldn't buy a carbed engine if there was an EFI available.

Yes, I probably would have went with the Suzuki, if it had a hose flush attachment, to get the EFI. If you trailed your boat you could always flush using muffs which gives a better result due to the engine running.

In the UK the Suzuki is also a bit cheaper than the Yam.

Andy

mhz

Cadet

Well if I was shopping for a new one...

I just had my 2001 DF40 catch on fire by itself, sitting in the garage. Forgot to switch battery power to OFF after adjusting trim (to fit in garage). It burnt all the electronics off and cowlings melted into mush. No explanation for the cause other than some kind of short that must have smoldered and then found some gas fumes to light it up. Except for a passerby seeing the smoke, it would have leveled my whole garage.

So...if I do buy a new one, it probably won't be another Suzuki. Mfg did not offer any help, except to say I should give them my engine info just so its on file.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the Mariner engine is running well I would leave it in place. Previously the motors were rated differently. Horsepower was at the powerhead amd then at the propeller. Your Mariner is probably about 40hp at the propeller. Do you have the 3 cylinder Mariner?

sandiegosteve

Seaman Apprentice

I love my DF40. Quiet, very efficient and reliable.

It weighs at the low end of the 4-strokes, and 3-4 lbsless then an eTech. I can't buy a 2-strike in California, so I didn't compare weights beyond the eTech.

One great thing about the DF40 is the EFI. No carburator to gum up and clog. The EFI jets will blow out bad gass to a point, but I avoid letting old gass sit as much as possible.

Another nice thing about the DF40 is that it comes with the remote control box, gas line and fuel tank.