Need Helpwith a Suzuki 15 HP

Whitecaps

Recruit
Bouught a new 15 HP 4 stroke Suzuki. Overheated first 15 minutes in the lake. Repaired by dealer. Then I ran in a barrel of water to test before I got stuck again. 15 minutes- overheated again. Same dealer says water pump again is fried. Says I ran it dry. I know I didn't. What else could be wrong with this engine to cause this? This dealer thinks it is the water pump but repairing it didn't solve the problem. What else could it be? Somebody PLEASE help me. Suzuki says it won't cover the second repair. Thanks, Whitecaps

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need Helpwith a Suzuki 15 HP

Was the thermostat checked, replaced if faulty? also, with the low unit and T stats removed, the cooling sytem should have been flushed with fresh water. Was the sump oil drained and refilled with new oil?

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also post your compression numbers.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

Find a better dealer. They only fixed what was broken, but did not find the cause.

Whitecaps

Recruit

Thanks for your responses. The engine was definately in the water far enough. Is it OK to test an engine buy placing it in a barrel of water with the water level at the height it would be if the boat were in the lake. ? This was a big garbage barrel so there was plenty of water so the water would not get warm. It seems to me that as long as the intake is deep enough in the water it should not be an issue, right? The dealer is trying to blame me. Someone mentioned to me that if a motor is not used for a while that you can get spider webs in the pipes and that can block enough water to fry the water pump. I don't know how long the engine was at the dealers before he sold it to me. Have any of you ever heard of that before? Also as one of you mentioned,if the thermostat is stuck couldn't that stop the flow of water?

vanner

Cadet

Hey Whitecaps were you getting a teltel when you test ran it?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Some of the Suz had a second water intake in the cavataton place, in a barrel this plate must be under water or it will suck air. The water tube and grommet must be in the correct place in the water pump housing also. Did you find the water pump flow tattle tale?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It is a possibility that you did indeed do the damage yourself when you ran it in your barrel. The problem occurs because of the confined area around the water intakes. As you run the engine the thru prop exhaust blows its exhaust back against the barrel where it has no place to go except back forward to the water intake screens. At an idle or a little above an idle you can get away with it. Anything over that and the engine picks up too much exhaust and not enough water and your grilling burgers on your block.

ronbespoken

Recruit
HI ya;ll first timer just joined. I have DF15 Suzuki cranks fine but when in gear boggs down. Have cleaned carbs twice and looked at fuel pump couldn't see any problems but really did not know whaT TO LOOK FOR. tHE CARB HAS TWO AIR OR FUEL LINES IN FRONT BUT NOTHING IS HOOKED UP. oNE IN THE BOOK SAID IT WAS OVERFLOW THE OTHER HAS A LITTLE HOSE THAT WENT SOMEWHERE BUT WAS BROKE OFF WHEN i PURCHASED IT. wHAT ELSE CAN i DO. iDLES FINE AND STARTS FINE. THANKS RON

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Ron you need to start a new thread with all of your info.
Do not post on someone elses old thread.

But welcome aboard anyway