Yamaha 90 hp jammed steering

mlawler

Recruit
I am trying to attempt to go rockfishing this weekend and when I went to launch the boat today I noticed my steering cable was locked up.

this has happened before and I was easily able to get it unstuck with a few hits with the hammer.

Any suggestions?

The problem is I am not sure how the whole assembly works since I can removed the left side bolt (left side if in the boat looking back) and move the wheel but then if I rescrew it in i can't budge it. I have tried to remove the steering bracket and hammer in (moved only a cm) I tried grabbing the bar with vicegrip while someone attempted to turn left.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

stogie5150

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 90 hp jammed steering

You need a NEW steering tube. I just went through this on a Pro 60 Yammie. Check out my thread on what NOT to do!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=236480

To change the tube, I would suggest removing the motor from the boat, let it hang in the air, change the tube, and re-install the motor. Changing the tube was very straightforward, remove the steering cable from the tube ( I had to DRIVE mine out with a punch and 3# hammer, BTW), take the nut off the starboard side of the tube, and the tube should slide out to the port side. Installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure you don't lose the washers/shims that go in the bracket that the tube slides through.

And when you get that tube changed, make SURE you take the steering out and lube it occasonally! I guarantee you I will NOT forget to do it regularly!

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you want to go fishing today; bang the rod out completely, and using a homemade steel buff, buff out the rust and crap in the steering tube, clean, lube and reinstall, works for me. :)

blkmju

Recruit

Help me please i have bought a new helm new steering cable but the steering is still stiff how do you free up the swivel bracket on the motor any idears thanks