Scoured Piston in a Dt 140 Suzuki

Bugle Boy

Recruit
I bought a Lund boat with a 1985 DT 140 Suzuki outboard motor and found out a couple of years ago that it had a blown gasket and scoured piston and the mechanic that fixed it said that it wasn't that bad and that the motor woudl run for a couple of years and then I should be thinking about doing something like getting a different motor or overhauling this one. I just don't know if it is worth putting $3000 into this motor or to trade it in on a newer one. I have put some money into this motor and it doesn't run too bad , but it never did start very good. The carbs have been rebuilt , but still think there is a problem with the fuel getting to the motor and that is not the motors fault. Was worndering if an electric fuel pump set really low pressure would be the cure or if is a problem in the tank. In any case; I still have the problem with a motor that needs an overhaul. Do I fix it or junk it and buy a different one. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Bugle Boy

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Scoured Piston in a Dt 140 Suzuki

I wouldn't put 3 Grand into a carbed 2 stroke either. Nor would I trade it in.
I would part it out or sell it (with the truth attached) and put a DFI 2 stroke or an EFI 4 stroke on it.

jethro5333

Cadet

I would have to agree with JB. putting 3 grand into a 1985 outboard of any kind would not be wise.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if its a freshwater motor there is no way you can spend 3000 dollars on it unless its total junk, the crank can be rebuilt for under 800, the pistons are maybe 85 apiece with circlips,pins and rings, toss in another 15 a piston for new wristpin bearings and maybe 200 for boring four holes another 125 for the factory gasket kit and your about done.
if your crank/rod assy is ok then its even easier and faster,.
the 85 140 was a solid motor but it really really did not like saltwater at all.
if its been in saltwater part it out and move on.

James R

Commander

Hi.These motors are very good and it would be a shame to have to part it out,but if you are not a motor man and have to have a shop do it they will charge heavily for the labor. facility. ability etc. Having a compression check will probably tell the story. Good compressions on the Suzuki are usually around 125 to 140. If you have a bad cylinder it will be very different to the other 3.