Supposed 07 Yamaha 50hp overheat?

ss_2879

Recruit
I recently purchased a 07 cape craft 15 flats with a 50hp yamaha. center console. Have had the boat less then 3 weeks. First day on the water the shift box grenaded, causing the engine to stick at about 4000rpms in neutral. Took back and had replaced by the dealer. Told it was a defective peice. Everything was fine. Sounds good, now I am a very avid fisherman and raised around boats. Knowing that it needs break in and reading the book to make sure I did not forget anything. I took a few days off and went fishing not pushing it over 2500rpms and finally getting about 2.5-3hrs on it decide to take it up and see how she handled on plane for a moment. Well needless to say she never got on plane and sat at 3000rpms and then overheated. Took back to the dealer and was told that it looked like to the dealer that I sucked up some sand the water impeller took a dump. Now I have done a little research on the engine and find out that it was manf. on 01/06.

If it did suck up some sand, could have this happened that fast and easily? Also from reading some of the forums is it possible that the impeller dry rotted from sitting for so long, waiting for a sucker for me to come along and do it in?

Anyfeed back or help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Scott

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Supposed 07 Yamaha 50hp overheat?

actually sounds like you need to find a real dealer.
post the model and primary ID number.
then google yamaha dealer locater.
find a dealer in your area that employs a master tech and discuss it with them.
yamaha water pumps are very durable unless run dry.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I won't comment on the impeller issue but I will comment on the date of manufacture issue. Yamaha is not alone in no longer using model year to ID their motors. Even though you bought an '07 boat you have no assurance the motor installed on that boat is "current year production" -- although it might be. All you are assured is that the motor is "new" and in this scenario it only means it has never been run even though it can be one, two, or more years old. Grates me to no end. The theory in this is that it helps dealers with the annual carry over situation where they would normally have to discount engines that were older than current year production. That it does -- but it's the consumer that gets the old-new engine for a brand new engine price and he/she is not even given the courtesy of being told about the situation. To put even more mold on the cheese, those old-new engines were purchased with yesterdays dollars and sold to the consumer with todays dollars. So you get ripped in more ways than one.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

silvertip has it all wrong
merc and mariner ran only a seriel number for 50 years or longer and still do.
however the manufacturing date code is on the stbd side bracket.
if they make no changes in design whats the difference of an engine made in dec 07 as opposed to jan of 08?
its not an automobile its a limited market and occasionally a hull manufactuer will purchase several thousand at a time but it may take 1-2 years to finnish the hull production run.
so year of manufacture isnt really important when its still in the box.

ss_2879

Recruit

Thank you,
what do you think of the water impeller going bad so quickly. Just looking for some feedback.
Scott

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno, most likly it got a dry run someplace. without seeing the pump housing nor the impellor or wear plate I cant say.
other than I think your getting jerked.
that much sand and you will have also filled the block with sand.
what control box grenaded? is it a factory genuine yamaha or an aftermarket?
on your PDI sheet is your engine system matched ?