Power tilt and trim 1986 Suzuki

clamdigger1

Cadet
I'm back. Same engine, different question.
The power tilt works fine for lifting the engine, but after about an hour or two, the engine is totally down from level position. Just for curiosity's sake, we took the two valves out of the tilt motor, cleaned them, and topped off with new fluid. I quess the principal is that of a hydrolic jack. The valve on the right has two "o" rings. Being a 22 year old unit, would that be enough ( worn out "o" rings) to leak, so to speak? I haven't see any fluid on the ground, etc.
When we did the valve removal, clean up and fluid replacement, it held overnight. But after a few days of trying again, it's up to it's old tricks. I know there are three pistons, maybe they're the culprit. I was wondering if there are any tricks besides manually locking it in and living with it, or maybe the "o" ring thing, just trial and error, or since I'm paying a mechanic, buy a new one before it starts running into too much $$.
Any suggestions?
Are there any downsides to running the engine all day in the locked position?
I seem to remember not having the luxury of power tilt back in the "60"s !! We were lucky to have electric start !!
Thanks, all.

Last edited:

crappydude

Recruit
Re: Power tilt and trim 1986 Suzuki

i DON'T HAVE ANSWER FOR YOU BUT I HAVE A 1987 DT200 MOTOR AND NEED TO REPLACE MY TRIM MOTOR. i CANT GET THE TRIM MOTOR OUT, WELL JUST ONE BOLT CLOSEST TO TRANSOM. IS YOUR TRIM MOTOR SANDWICHED IN BETWEEN THE MOTOR BRACKETS? IF SO HOW DID YOU GET MOTOR REPLACED?

clamdigger1

Cadet
Re: Power tilt and trim 1986 Suzuki

sorry, I haven't been checking the threads. I guess I'm lucky, my trim motor is attached to the transom outside of the bracket to the starboard side.
I hope you solved your problem since summer is in full swing! I haven't solved mine yet, but working on it !
clamdigger