86 yamaha 220, wont plane off

hamish212

Recruit
idles fine, just when I gas it the boat it looses power to a fast idle, then picks up power a little to a faster plane then goes back down to a fast idle speed, going back and forth.
I replaced the fuel pumps...why would the motor have a fuel problem...or not get on full plane...thanks Hamish

skynyrdcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 86 yamaha 220, wont plane off

idles fine, just when I gas it the boat it looses power to a fast idle, then picks up power a little to a faster plane then goes back down to a fast idle speed, going back and forth.
I replaced the fuel pumps...why would the motor have a fuel problem...or not get on full plane...thanks Hamish

Sounds like it's a fuel issue (besides the pump).

Starting with the basics, have you checked the filter, all connection between tank and carbs?

Start by checking these, make sure you have a good fuel supply to the carbs with no air leaks around the connections. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to check you're primer bulb (when engines cuts out), is it flat or does it still have plenty of pressure in it?

Also check the vent on the fuel tank to make sure it's not stopped up.

I had an Evinrude do the same thing, I could un hook the fuel line from the tank and put it directly into a can of fuel and the problem went away (not reccommended), It turned out to be the check valve in the top of the tank sticking and starving the engine for fuel).