yamaha pro 50 power tilt hydraulic failure

pancakes

Seaman Apprentice
i have a motor stuck in the down position due to an apparent hydraulic failure in the lift cylinder. i assume it IS a problem with the piston and not the lift motor because i can hear the motor run in both directions but there is absolutely no lifting happening. 3 questions: 1) where is the manual relief valve on a 95 pro 50? 2) what is the likely failure within the piston. o rings? could it just need to be bled? 3) could a piston overhaul be accomplished by a novice mechanic or should i haul the boat in for service?

thanks

jl_photo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: yamaha pro 50 power tilt hydraulic failure

there is a slotted screw on one of the motor mounts near the trim pin holes. counter clockwise should lower the motor, or alow you to raise it by hand.

try running the tilt motor with the manual valve open and slowly close the valve. if the pump is pumping then you should feel the rush of fluid when the valve is almost closed.

you may be out of fluid. I think you should be able to lift the motor by hand when the valve is open and then add fluid. secure the motor well to avoid being squashed if the motor falls.

rebuilding the cylinder requires a special wrench. there are some valves inside that may be very difficult to work on.

the seals are not replaceable on all models, the entire ram and seals are replaces as a unit. this is easy after you get the cylinder cap off.