Help on 93 Yamaha 85 HP tilt/trim

JJacks

Recruit
I have a 1993 85 HP Yamaha on which I'm having trouble w/ the power tilt and trim. Motor will go down but not up. Consequently, it is all the way down now and I can't trailer it anywhere for someone to look at it becasue the skeg will drag the road when the motor is all the way down. When I try to trim it up I hear a "click" so something is engaging but the trim does not move the motor up. Also, I can't figure out how to "release" the entire tilt and trim mechanism so that I can manually tilt the motor up so that it can be trailored to a repair facility. Can someone help me understand how this tilt and trim is put together and how I might disassemble or disengage it so that I can trailer the boat to a repair facility. I've looked at it over and over and it all appears to be sealed to me.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help on 93 Yamaha 85 HP tilt/trim

jj welcome to i boats........

just about any question you ever wanted to know the answer to has allready been asked on these forums......

just hit search.....

the guys on this site will have that motor of yours goin up and down so fast....youll think its an oil well. pump jack.

im an i/o guy so im gonna keep quiet...... but are you operating the switch right?
consult your owners manual to be certain....

im not entirly sure this is the best forum....here in general.....but the mods will see it and move it if need be.

cheers
oops

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats.
Yamaha and Suzuki Outbaord Troubles/Repairs.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

remove the 10 ga green and blue wires from the solinoids, touch the blue to red while touching the green to ground. motor should run up, reverse them and it should go down.
if it does replace the defective solinoids.