Yamaha T9.9 high thrust

Mike Egli

Recruit
Can someone please help me with some advice?

I have a 1998 Yamaha T9.9 EXRW long shaft on my 24? Sea Sport. I fish on the west coast of Vancouver Island where we get a westerly wind that will blow in the afternoon most days. On most days the motor does very well, but when the wind is up to 25 mph the kicker struggles. When we troll into the wind the motor needs to be full throttle to get me to 3 mph. And sometimes it can?t even do that if it blow even harder.

Last summer I was told that Yamaha was going to come out with a new 15 HP high thrust in 2008. After a bit of research and a few phone calls, they are not going to make a 15 HP. They are coming out with a new T9.9 that has 212cc, that?s it. The new 8 HP has 197cc and uses the same engine as the T9.9. Quite frankly, I can?t believe they would make two motors almost identical. Why would you pick on or the other when they are virtually the same? They are saying the new T9.9 will out perform the old engines that had 323cc due to more RMP and a few other improvements. I call BS.

The older 2007 model T9.9 had 323cc and used the 15 HP engine detuned. This bigger power head is what I was looking for to help my situation. The engine was detuned to a 9.9 by using a different carburetor and a plate, from what I was told.

So here are my questions.

Can I buy an older model T9.9 with 323cc and put a 15 HP carburetor and plate on it to give me maximum horsepower?

What would be the cost of doing this?

How do we put enough pressue on Yamaha to make a bigger kicker?

Thanks,
Mike Egli
codfathers@hotmail.com

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha T9.9 high thrust

Why wouldn't you just get yourself the 323 cc 15 hp.I don't know the displacement but it appears they had a 15 in 2007.Even if not a high thrust it would seem a properly set up 15 would far out perform the 9.9.

boatmanjf

Cadet
Re: Yamaha T9.9 high thrust

I also fish the west coast off Neah Bay, With a 24 foot boat 15 hp is the SMALLEST kicker i would use. I have a 9.9 on my 19foot and have thought of going up to 15. I have had to use the main engine more than once.

Just my thought.