spirit ( suzuki) cooling problem

brianr42

Recruit
my 65 h.p. spirit outboard sat for 3 years before i bought it..i changed the lower end oil, fresh gas/oil mix and it started right up.lower end is sittin in a trash can full of water but do not see any water coming out the back . is the impeller or waterpump bad. i only ran it 20 seconds for fear of damaging motor. need advise what to do next..

D

DJ

Re: spirit ( suzuki) cooling problem

my 65 h.p. spirit outboard sat for 3 years before i bought it..i changed the lower end oil, fresh gas/oil mix and it started right up.lower end is sittin in a trash can full of water but do not see any water coming out the back . is the impeller or waterpump bad. i only ran it 20 seconds for fear of damaging motor. need advise what to do next..

It is entirely possible. If it sat that long, I would definetely replace it. It's due.

At the same time, check the telltale hose and cowl fitting for obstructions.

You won't do any harm in 20 seconds. That is barely enough time for the pump to fill the block with water.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: spirit ( suzuki) cooling problem

Also that motor has a t-stat and it might not have got warm enough for it to open. That might be another reason that you were not seeing a telltale stream. I know that my yamaha will pee verry weak for the first couple of minites. Then all the sudden at once the stream gets verry strong. That is when the t-stat opens up and allows water to pass through. I agree though its time to replace at least the impeller. Sitting dry like that in my opinion is worse than when it is getting used cause the impeller is dry and can grack and weaken. When i bought my outboard it was the same story it had sat for a couple of years and i was supprised how easily it started up. I thought that i would have to do more tuning to get her running right but it started right up with no problem. Soon after getting it running though i did change the impeller, t-stats, fuel pump gaskets and diaphram, fuel filters and the oil chech valves for the oil injection among other cleaning of carbs and things like that. Sounds like you got a good motor take care of it and it will return the favor! Good luck and Enjoy! Cant wait til the boating season comes around again!