Remove a pinion gear without the tool!

captainsae

Cadet
A little trick that I figured out is when you are installing a seal kit in the lower unit, remove the bearing carrier before you remove the lower unit. Once the bearing carrier is out, you will have access to the pinion gear nut. Now you can wedge a flat blade screwdriver in one of the teeth in the flywheel so it can not spin. Next, break the pinion nut free and loosen it until it's only finger tight. At this point you can go ahead and drop the lower unit and proceed with installing all the upper seals and new water pump but tighten the pinion gear nut until it's snug - don't try to torque it at this point. Now re-install the lower unit and torque the mounting bolts to the proper specs. Torque the pinion gear nut by taking out the spark plugs, putting a wrench on the pinion nut, and turn the flywheel with a torque wrench until you get the specified torque for the pinion nut. Now proceed with installing the seals on the bearing carrier and re-install that and you're finished.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Remove a pinion gear without the tool!

ok
but why would I remove the pinion nut just for seals ?

captainsae

Cadet

Hey Rodbolt,
In my case, I'm working on a 1985 DT75 Suzuki that had a vanilla milkshake for gear lube and I wanted to thoroughly clean and inspect all the gears and bearings while I had it apart. It was my first post and wanted to add something to the forum. I searched the forum for pinion nut removal, pinion gear, driveshaft nut, etc. and saw many posts from people trying to figure out how to remove the nut and saw some pretty scary advise like using vise grips on spline or using a pipe wrench on the driveshaft so I thought I would offer a solution for those who don't have access to a spline socket. Now when you search for this subject it's at the top of the list. This is by far the best boat repair forum I have ever seen!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

just checking, the method will actually work however I use a flywheel holding tool. but many engines dont require pinion removal to change seals. some do.
thats why I say always identify what motor we disscuss :)

captainsae

Cadet

I found the bearings to be in pretty good shape, however the keepers that hold them in place look pretty worn. The motor runs great and makes no noise while under way, but I'm leaning towards replacing the bearings since I already have it apart. The upper driveshaft bearing looks easy enough to do but the pinion bearing is another story - it's down deep in the LU casing. Is this something I can do at home or do you think I need to to take this to the dealer and have it done? Or should I just put it back together and enjoy it for another 10 years?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you dont have the shimming tools or some of the pressing tools? put it back together and enjoy it.