• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Yamaha Lower Drain Screw leak

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Lower Drain Screw leak

Need Advice. I have a 200hp 2005 Yamaha 2 stroke. This summer i noticed a small drip of oil at the bottom drain screw. I drained the lower unit and pumped new gear lube in. All was fixed. I used the boat and theres a small drip again. I drained it but this time replaced the washers as well. Used the boat and the same thing happened. Drained and replaced the washers again but made sure i rolled them in the oil before installing. Again, after using the boat today i noticed a small drip on the bottom screw. The bottom screw certainly feels like it is seating when i tighten it. Any advice or do I send it to the shop?

Re: Yamaha Lower Drain Screw leak

hmmmmm! Is this real yamaha washers or the red washers you got or some rubber ones? You got to use those fiber washers. Real deal! Pics
    http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x...h44/?start=all

Comment

Drew is exactly correct but there is one more thing to examine. Is the drain plug a genuine Yamaha plug and more importantly is it the correct plug? If you post your exact model number I can give you the correct part number.

Comment

Guys,
        I appreciate the help. This past Spring I had the marina change the lower unit oil. Maybe they put the wrong screw in. I will purchase a top and bottom screw tomorrow with the appropriate Yamaha washers. Hopefully this fixes the issues. Regardless, I will let you know how this turns out. Again thanks for the help.

Jim

Comment

Jim, If your motor is an SX200TXRD than the correct drain plug is 688-45341-10-00. It should come in a sealed bag with the part number on it.

Comment

Guys, bad news today. I bought new factory drain and vent screws along with branded yamaha washers. It still leaks, very very slowly around the drain screw. Certainly seems if something is wrong with the threads on the outdrive but the screw goes in easily. It takes about a day for it to start its slow leak. My plumbing background tells me to use some teflon tape or something like this. I have know idea if it would be safe to retap the hole or what a new lower housing would cost.

Need your expert advice on next steps.

Comment

What brand and type gear oil are you using?

Comment

Did you do an inspection on the drain hole to make sure none of the old washer is there and not allowing the new one to seat properly?

Comment

there is also the possibility that somewhere along the line the hole was improperly heli-coiled. carefully inspect the threads and the gasket surface.
                  no tech questions by PM, they wont get answered.
                  you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to .

Comment

Just want to bring everyone up to speed. I have been using Yamaha's lower unit oil but I did change it to the LubriMatic Power Pro Synthetic Blend this last time. I've changed it 4 times so far in hopes to fixing the issue. (3 times with Yamaha's brand). I don't think its the fluid. I am aware the washer has tendancy to stick to the surface of the outdrive as the screw is removed. Each time the old washer is removed completely and a new one place on.

I did recieve advice today that the seal comes from the compression on the washer and not the threads. The marina (not a yamaha dealer) suggested using 2 washers on the bottom.

This is a 2005 outboard and I'm not sure in Yamaha will take care of this.

Thoughts on the 2 washers?

Thanks for everyones guidenance.

Comment

if one washer, as designed, wont seal odds are high two wont either.
                      the seal is created between the flat face of the screw and the flat gasket surface on the gearcase.
                      your going to HAVE to inspect the sealing surfaces for the defect.
                      if oil will leak out then water will leak in.
                      no other way. if its marrred or scuffed odds are high its not a yamaha issue but a maint issue. dont expect it to be warrenty by yamaha.

Comment

Any idea what the housing would cost on the lower unit if i have to replace it? Its a 2005 200hp 2 stroke.

I hope this isn't the solution.

Comment

Just wanted to bring everyone up to speed on this. I've had a very slow drip of oil coming from my drain screw (2005 Yamaha). I took it back to the Yamaha dealer last week and they inspected everything and found nothing wrong. Four days later the Dealer called me and stated they now see a very small oil drip. Apparently there is a very slight imperfection with the housing. Its the first time they have ever seen this. They contacted Yamaha and they were willing to split the cost ($400 credit) towards a new lower unit housing. I would have to pay the balance of the new housing and labor. The dealer is estimating that to be about $1000. Does that sound about right? Do you think I would have any luck contacting Yamaha afterwards? I've given the dealer the ok to replace.

I'm open to advice.
                          Jim

Comment

as it worked for a long time odds are high the imperfection was a technician created one, otherwise it would have leaked from day one.
                            if it was a yamaha issue odds are high, if the dealer is good, yamaha would pay all but the labor on a new case.
                            can you post some detailed pictures of the socalled imperfection ?

Comment

Just in case, are you sure your screwing it in well enough to allow the gasket to seal? Sure, you have to be cautious not to strip it, but I know a couple of folks who had this problem on a Merc. They were using the wrong size screwdriver, of course it was covered with gear lube, and of course the fun angle we are usually at when doing this job.

As always, righty tighty

Comment

Working...
                              X